Technician Chris
Technician Chris, Technician
Experience:  I am a certified ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Specialist and over 15 years experience.

Honda Accord EX: My Honda Accord 2006 randomly idles at very

Customer Question

My Honda Accord 2006 randomly idles at very low revolutions and when I turn the air conditioning the idle speed gets lower and sometimes the engines shuts down at very low speeds. At high speeds I don't have any issue. The problem is when the car is at idle or very low speeds (5-10 mph). I believe that when the AC compressors kicks in the idle rpm goes to as low as 500 rpm and then goes back to 600-650 rpm. I suspect its going to get worse soon.

I had the same issue three months ago and one technician supposedly reprogrammed the the throttle valve but I never believed that BS. I don't think he told me the truth. He repaired it three months ago. It worked for a while but the problem is coming back. At some point my car when waiting at a traffic light, when I accelerate the car will spudder and the engine shuts down. It already happened once last week. I was taking the car out of the garage (AC on) and the engine went off. Very annoying problem when waiting at at traffic light or when driving at very low speeds. The car feels rough when I turn the AC on. If I turn it off the car feels smoother.
Category: Car
Expert:  Technician Chris replied 8 months ago.

The A/C effect is just putting a load on the engine, and is not related. What is going on is your idle air control valve is clogged. I recommend that you have a shop clean the throttle body and the idle air control valve. If that does not take care of it, you will need to have the idle air control valve replaced. The part number is XXXXX

2005-2006 models:
Idle speed should be:

manual trans: 720 ±50 rpm
auto trans:800 ±50 rpm (in Park or neutral)
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thanks. Why is this problem coming back in such a short period of time?

What is the root cause of the problem?

Carbon build up in the throttle body is the root cause. This happens to every vehicle out there, just a byproduct of the internal combustion engine. I would bet the last time it was serviced, the technician only cleaned it out. While it repaired it for some time, he did not get all of the build up out of the valve (which is very hard to do) so I'm going to say you will need to replace it this time. A cleaning may help for a little while longer, but the only permanent fix is to replace it. The valve retails at the dealer's parts counter for $143.53, but you can order it from www.parts.com for $99.04 and labor to install should be in the $75 - $100 range at any repair shop. This is not something that you have to have the dealer replace, any shop can do it.
Technician Chris, Technician
Experience: I am a certified ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Specialist and over 15 years experience.
Thank you for the positive rating. It is very much appreciated. Please let me know if I can assist further.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

I came from the shop yesterday and the technician told me that the part suggested was incorrect. These Hondas do not come with an Idle Air Control Valve as suggested by you but with a complete single unit Throttle Body. The part you suggested applies to Hondas of 2005 but not the 2006.

The mechanic took a look under the hood and realized that the real problem was that the Air Flow Hose going from the filter box into the throttle body was cracked. Fortunately I am able to return the purchased part and get a refund but will lose money in the shipping. Your advise was fine as long as the Honda was 2005. :(

Expert:  Technician Chris replied 7 months ago.
I do apologize for the confusion. It is very possible your vehicle is different than a 2006 Accord we have here in the US. It is very common for manufactures to have export vehicles that differ from their US counterparts. The US 06 Accord does have a separate, serviceable idle air control valve, hence the part number that I gave you above. The website I suggested "www.parts.com" always asks for a VIN to confirm accuracy. I am very glad you were able to get the issue taken care of. A cracked vacuum hose will typically cause a constant high idle, not the random idle that you described. The crack in the hose must have been very small not to cause an issue at all times. please keep in mind, that I cannot physically see the vehicle. I can only go off of the information that you give me, and my personal past experience. Ultimately, the issue is solved, and that is what matters.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

No worries. I understand.

Thanks,

JC

thank you