Technician Chris
Technician Chris, Technician
Experience:  I am a certified ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Specialist and over 15 years experience.
29613880

Acura 3.2 TL Type-S: 2002 Acura 3.2 TL type-s. Left it at

Customer Question

2002 Acura 3.2 TL type-s. Left it at airport for 3 days. came back to caution light on, VSA and check engine. when I drove it was jerking and couldn't get into 3rd gear. pulled over turned it off for 5 minutes. drove fine after that, but all the lights still on. went away again for 2 days again and started it with the same issues, where the gears were not shifting smooth. Also, at stop lights is just died on me. a few computer codes have read ECM?PCM failure. should I buy a used ECU computer?? my mechanic is saying they are $600. please help!
Category: Car
Expert:  Technician Chris replied 1 year ago.
Don't buy anything until we figure out what the cause of the problem is . 1st step is to visit any autoparts store and have them scan the computer for check engine light codes. Let me know what code(s) there are and I will assist further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the code is ECM/PCM failure

what is the actual code?

it should be P0300 (or something to that effect)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the codes were: P1607 and P84-01

DTC P1607: PCM Internal Circuit Malfunction

1. Reset the PCM.
  2. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
  3. Wait 30 seconds . Is DTC P1607 indicated? YES - Substitute a known-good PCM and recheck. If the symptom/indication goes away, replace the original PCM. NO - Go to step 4.
  4. Turn the ignition switch OFF.
  5. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
  6. Wait 10 seconds . Is DTC P1607 indicated? YES - Substitute a known-good PCM and recheck. If the symptom/indication goes away, replace the original PCM. NO - Intermittent failure, system is OK at this time.

- Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but yes, you are going to need a new PCM. The part number is 37820PXGA52 and retails for $1,360.23 for a brand new one, but you can buy it from www.parts.com for $938.56

- You may be better off buying an used one for the price. Either way, you will need to have it programmed at a dealer after replacing.

Technician Chris, Technician
Experience: I am a certified ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Specialist and over 15 years experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Replaced the computer, programmed it and its fine. however the caution light and VSA light remain on. Had my mechanic check all ABS sensors and steering wheel because he got a code 84-01. now he thinks I need a new ABS module????

code 84 has nothing to do w/ a faulty ABS module -see the diag procedure below:

DTC 84: Neutral Position

1. Clear the DTC.
  2. Do the neutral position memorization. (see procedure below)
  3. Test-drive the vehicle at 24 mph (40 km/h) - 36 mph (60 km/h) without wheel spin for2 - 3 minutes . Is the VSA activation indicator on or blinking? YES -Go to step 4. NO -The system is OK at this time.
  4. Verify the DTC. Is DTC 25, 26, or 27 indicated? YES -Do the appropriate troubleshooting for the DTC, and recheck. NO -Go to step 5.
  5. Substitute a known-good lateral acceleration sensor.
  6. Do the neutral position memorization. (see procedure below)
  7. Test-drive the vehicle at 24 mph (40 km/h) - 36 mph (60 km/h) without wheel spin for 2 - 3 minutes . Is the VSA activation indicator blinking? YES -Go to step 8. NO -Replace the lateral acceleration sensor.
  8. Substitute a known-good steering angle sensor.
  9. Test-drive the vehicle at 24 mph (40 km/h) - 36 mph (60 km/h) without wheel spin for2 - 3 minutes . Is the VSA activation indicator blinking? YES -Replace the yaw rate sensor. NO -Replace the steering angle sensor.

Neutral Position Memorization

NOTE: To ensure accuracy, the vehicle must be level.

1. Clear the DTC.
  2. Short the Service Check Signal circuit.
  3. Release the parking brake.
  4. Press the brake pedal, and hold it.
  5. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
  6. After the ABS indicator goes off, apply the parking brake, release the parking brake, and apply it again.
  7. The VSA activation indicator blinks twice in2 seconds , and the indicator goes off. If the indicator does not go off, repeat from step 1.
  8. Turn the ignition switch OFF, then remove the Honda PGM Tester from the data link connector.

Thank you for the positive rating. It is very much appreciated. Please let me know if I can assist further.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ECM/ECU computer replaced. all is working fine. however my radio is locked and the code that normally works does not to unlock radio. Do I need the radio code from the donor car that I got the ECM/ECU computer from????

Expert:  Technician Chris replied 11 months ago.
Honestly, I don't know. I have never run into this being my field experience was at dealerships, and have never installed a used computer before. If the code for your radio is not working, than it is a good possibility that you will need the donor car's code. You should be able to get the VIN from the donor vehicle, and take that to your local dealer and have them look it up. Also, check out the below website, you should be able to get in touch w/ a representative at Honda to get the code.

https://radio-navicode.honda.com/