Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor

I like to park my car in our covered shed with a clay floor.

I like to park my car in our covered shed with a clay floor. It is dry year round;we store our firewood in there. We have an asphalt driveway that is exposed, and is hot during the summer. It also gets icy during the colder months. My husband tells me to park on the driveway because moisture in the soil causes corrosion. Sometimes I like to park on the gravel next to the driveway (to keep the driveway clear) which of course is not dry during the rainy months. I live in in No. California, Sierra Nevada foothills. I think he is nuts; I would think modern cars would be able to handle parking on wet surfaces. Is he right?
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.
HI,

All newer vehicles (1995 and up) have a protective rubberized undercoating sprayed on them at the factory which protects against corrosion due to moisture. Relative humidity in that area is not particularly high as compared to the Southeast US, so there isnt an abnormal amount of moisture to worry about.

Clay is also not very porous, so there is not going to be much moisture escaping from below the clay. This is why if you wet clay, it tends to puddle for a long time- due to not being porous, the water takes a long time to seep into the ground on clay surfaces.

In a nutshell, you are correct and your husband is incorrect. Parking on clay will not cause or accelerate corrosion on the underside of a vehicle
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

If I park on he gravel part (which has great drainage BTW) would my husband be correct? He contends that the asphalt dries up between storms, whereas the gravel-over-soil does not. We get our rain (50"-60"/yr. including snow) mostly all Nov.- Apr. Thanks!

Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.
HI,

Your husband is incorrect. His assumption that ground moisture can and will cause corrosion to a vehicle is simply incorrect. No matter where you park, it is safe from corrosion due to ground moisture.

The only concern you have on corrosion is if the roads are salted in the winter when you get snow/ice. If this is not washed off, the salt will attack the metal.

Other than that, corrosion is not a concern, especially from any ground moisture
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Great! Roads are not salted here. They use sand. What about the electronics, wires and battery and such? And, should I tell my son to start parking his 1994 Toyota SR5 4x4 on the asphalt instead of out by the barn? Being older than 1995, but was built for driving in harsh conditions. That should be all on this.....

Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.

electronics are not affected by moisture in the ground, or even moisture in the air. They are fully insulated and are only affected by direct water intrusion due to flooding, or a leak that allows rain water access to wiring(at the windshield where it would trickle down behind the instrument panel onto control modules there).

Your son's SR5 is fine parked in the barn. This vehicle was built to tougher specs as it was expected to go thru water, mud, harsh road conditons. Parking it in the barn on a dirt floor wont hurt it in the least.
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor