sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Chevrolet K2500 4x4: i have a 1996 k2500 turbo diesel the

i have a 1996 k2500 turbo diesel the problems i am experiencing are as follows
first the hvac system stayed powered up even with the key off now the radio stays powered up but the hvac and cruise both stopped working when that happened now it stays in 4wd low no lights on for the 4wd no chek engine lights and it starts without trouble every time even down into the teens without being plugged in before this started i replaced both batteries they were just no good any more i have 160k for miles

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

With this combination of symptoms it sounds like you most likely have a failed ignition switch. It's not uncommon for switch contacts to stick and allow items to still work when the key is shut off, and obviously a failed switch can prevent power from making it to components and systems.

It's not unheard of for modules to have issues after a battery disconnect but I don't think replacing the batteries is a factor in this case. The first thing I would recommend is unplugging the ignition switch and check for signs of heat damage in the connector and switch. If you see signs of heat then replace the switch and also the connector if it's damaged.

If you don't see anything you can opt to replace the switch, or we can try to do some testing to confirm the switch bad if you have a voltmeter or test light.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I removed the covers from the column and found that someone has been inside there and broken a lot of plastic but i did discover that if i manually jumped power to the large orange wire on the switch i then had power to my hvac but not in a key on position with this info i am going to condemn the switch and tackle the driveline issue as a separate situation if that does not clear up with a new switch thanks for your help

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That fixed all the problems I was having. Thanks for all your help

Great, I'm glad to hear it!