Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years

I recently bought an 89 fleetwood jamboree with a ford e350.

I recently bought an 89 fleetwood jamboree with a ford e350. Had the transmission serviced with a new filter and fluid. 1000 miles later it doesn't shift to drive, 1st and 2nd work fine. changed the modulator and checked the kickdown. there is only 32,000 miles on the vehicle. Can the transmission be bad already?
good afternoon my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today

yes, it could fail. from the low mileage, the seals become hard as a rock and create many issues.

how did the fluid look that you changed???

it sounds like it is an internal issue with either the front clutch pack or the valve body

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Roy I didn't change the fluid myself, but local shop said looked great when done. When I changed the modulator some poured out it was slightly dark but smelled ok. ....Roger

ok, then something failed internally. it will have to come out and be inspected.