Technician Chris
Technician Chris, Technician
Experience:  I am a certified ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Specialist and over 15 years experience.

Chrysler Lebaron GTC: 1995 Lebrun convertible, 200 k mles.

1995 Lebrun convertible, 200 k mles. I am feeling a shimmy when driving between 35 and 45 mph. Goes away above 45 mph. I have rotated the tires and also tried the spare on each wheel individually with no improvement. Any suggestions as to where to look next?

By far the most common cause of a vibration while driving is a tire balance issue. I would recommend to have all the tires balanced 1st, and if that does not take care of it, you may have a CV axle issue, or possible suspension, or even internal transmission problem, but all of those are much less likely. Just to be clear though, the vibration is only while driver between 35 - 45 mph, correct? It does not happen when you are braking? Please let me know of the tire balance does not take care of the issue, and we can dig into it further.

Customer: replied 2 years ago. does not appear when braking. I tried rotating the tires and also put the spare on each axel, one at a time and drove the car each time with no changes. Everything seems to be in balance. It does have a lot of miles on it, the struts were replace about 30 k miles ago and I have about 80 k miles on a factory rebuilt tranny

OK, does the vibration happen which your foot on the accelerator? or just when cruising?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Foot of accelerator. When foot removed from gas it goes away

OK, in that case, it is definitely not the tires. The issue will be in either the CV axles or the trans itself. Do you hear a clicking noise when turning? If so, the CV axles are worn and will need to be replaced. If not, that does not necessarily mean the axles are ok, but rather you will need to visit a trans shop (or the dealer) and have them test drive the vehicle to pinpoint the exact cause. The transmission is the weak point on this vehicle, and I would not be surprised at all to hear it needs another rebuild, but until the shop confirms, I won't want to say the trans is the problem for sure. Let me know the outcome. I will be happy to review an estimate of repair to make sure everything is in line.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Cv makes sense. Motor mount broke about 2 months ago and heard a ,kind of,clicking noise before I stopped. While checking for this problem I noticed one of the cv boots was torn. I will get new half shaft and then try it out.

At this mileage, I would recommend replacing both, if they have never been replaced before.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will do, as finances allow. Won't be able to get the left one till this coming weekend, payday. If I remember correctly, both were replace with the tranny @ 120 k miles
ok, that should be fine, please do let me know the outcome