sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 14 years dealership experience
9825021

Volvo s70 s70: s70 98 makes noise as if the a backtire has

Customer Question

s70 98 makes noise as if the a backtire has a flat spot.checked all tires inside put two new ones on front.cannot feel anything on steering wheel.can it be bearing problem ?
Category: Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you've verified that the noise isn't coming from the tires then it's pretty surely a bearing that you are hearing. IT could be a pinion or side bearing in the rear differential but it is more likely to be a wheel bearing. The rear differential is just a center section with CV shafts going to each rear wheel and there is a bearing at each wheel. When you drive the car take note of whether the noise changes any when you are turning or swerving, if it does change then you have a bad wheel bearing. Turning adds more load to the bearing on one side and takes some load off the other side, which will make wheelbearing noise come and go or lessen/get stronger when turning.

sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 14 years dealership experience
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for info.Looks like it is one of the bearings.Now which one ? Does it make sense to change both ? The car is on115 000 miles. Greetings Rudy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

If the noise is coming from the rear and changes when you swerve then if it gets better when swerving left then the left bearing should be the bad one, if it gets better when swerving right then the right bearings should be the bad one. If you're unsure then it can be ran on a hoist in gear and a stethoscope used to listen to each one and see where the noise is coming from.

At 115,000 miles it wouldn't hurt to replace both. It's not uncommon to replace one and find the other one is starting to make noise, or you replace one and the other starts to make noise not long in the future.