Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

Suzuki Vitara: 2001 suzuki vitara - replaced rear shoes, everything

Customer Question

2001 suzuki vitara - replaced rear shoes, everything is proper, adjusted adjuster to minimum but cannot get drum over shoes?
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.
HI,

Ok, the reasons for the drum not going over the shoes are many:

drums have a lip on the inside
at the bottom, shoes are not behind the bar
strut bar not seated all the way between the shoes
springs not in correct position
shoes not seated in the wheel cylinder fully
primary and secondary shoes not in correct position
adjuster not seated fully

You need to check each of the above to ensure that everything is done correctly. If not sure of how they go, I can upload diagram for you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the info, but I've checked each of these things a few times over and it seems that perhaps you might need to do an e brake cable adjustment somewhere and it might let up the shoes to fit the drum over. Is there any info on this as part of the repair when doing shoes because I did one side at a time and ensured that it was exactly the same before doing the other side and both sides don't fit he drum over, not even close. I checked to make sure everything was in their exact place?
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.
HI,

It recommended to loosen the ebrake cable before any rear brake job. directions are fairly slim on this

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Without visually looking at the brakes it is difficult to say why the drum is not going over.

Try loosening the ebrake adjuster and putting the drum on. If still not going on, if you can take a photo and upload here of the rear brakes, it would help. Use the Paperclip icon on your reply box to upload photo- just has to be 5mb or less in size
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, thanks Eric, I'll let you know how it goes? I won't be able to touch it till next week but I'll be sure to accept once I get a look at it.
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

No problem and I am here every day. To leave this open to reply back to, just dont reply to this post right now. That leaves it open for 7 days