Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years

Saturn Astra XE: What is a P0000A problem

What is a P0000A problem
Category: Car
Expert:  Roy replied 8 months ago.
good evening my name is XXXXX XXXXX X will assist you.

the code indicates an issue with the cam position sensor. I have attached a description of the code and what it looks for before setting the code. make sure you oil is clean and the level correct. this will directly effect the operation of the sensor.

Roy

DTC P000A, P000B, P0011, or P0014

Diagnostic Instructions

Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle (See: Testing and Inspection\Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview) prior to using this diagnostic procedure.
Review Strategy Based Diagnosis (See: Testing and Inspection\Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview) for an overview of the diagnostic approach.
Diagnostic Procedure Instructions (See: Testing and Inspection\Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview)provides an overview of each diagnostic category.
DTC Descriptors
DTC P000A
Intake Camshaft Position (CMP) System Slow Response
DTC P000B
Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) System Slow Response
DTC P0011
Intake Camshaft Position (CMP) System Performance
DTC P0014
Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) System Performance
Diagnostic Fault Information

Circuit/System Description

The camshaft position (CMP) actuator is attached to each camshaft and is hydraulically operated in order to change the angle of the camshaft relative to crankshaft position (CKP). The CMP actuator solenoid is controlled by the control module. The control module sends a pulse width modulated signal to a CMP actuator solenoid. The solenoid controls the amount of engine oil flow to a CMP actuator. The CMP actuator can change the camshaft angle a maximum of 20 degrees. The control module increases the pulse width to accomplish the desired camshaft operation.

Conditions for Running the DTC

The engine speed is between 736-6,016 RPM.
The engine oil temperature is between 10-130°C (50-266°F).
The commanded camshaft position is stable.
The battery voltage is between 10-18 volts.
DTCs P000A, P000B, P0010, P0013, P0014, P0016, P0017, P0335, P0336, P0340, P0341, P0365, P0366, P2088, P2089, P2090, P2091 are not set.
Conditions for Setting the DTC

The actual camshaft position does not match the commanded position.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

DTCs P0011 and P0014 are Type B DTCs.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

DTCs P0011 and P0014 are Type B DTCs.

Reference Information
Schematic Reference

Engine Controls Schematics (See: Powertrain Management\Diagrams\Electrical)
Connector End View Reference

Component Connector End Views (See: Diagrams\Connector Views)
Electrical Information Reference

Circuit Testing (See: Testing and Inspection\Component Tests and General Diagnostics)
Connector Repairs (See: Testing and Inspection\Component Tests and General Diagnostics)
Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections (See: Testing and Inspection\Component Tests and General Diagnostics)
Wiring Repairs (See: Testing and Inspection\Component Tests and General Diagnostics)
Scan Tool Reference

Control Module References (See: Testing and Inspection\Programming and Relearning)for scan tool information

Circuit/System Verification

Important: The supply of clean pressurized engine oil to the CMP actuator is essential to CMP actuator performance.

Observe the engine oil level. The engine oil level should be within the operating range. Refer to Approximate Fluid Capacities (See: Maintenance\Service Intervals) .
Ensure the vehicle has the correct engine oil and is not old, burnt, or contains additives.
¤ If the vehicle has the incorrect engine oil, is old, burnt, or contains additives then change the oil and filter.
Test the engine oil pressure for correct operation. Refer to Oil Pressure Diagnosis and Testing (See: Engine, Cooling and Exhaust\Engine\Testing and Inspection\Component Tests and General Diagnostics) .
Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.
Circuit/System Testing

Important: You must complete the Circuit/System Verification before proceeding with Circuit/System Testing.

Test for less than 1 ohm between the applicable CMP actuator solenoid ignition voltage circuit and ground.
¤ If greater than 1 ohm, test the ignition voltage for an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the applicable CMP actuator solenoid.
Test for less than 1 ohm on the applicable CMP actuator solenoid control circuit.
¤ If greater than 1 ohm, test the control circuit for an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the applicable CMP actuator solenoid.
Inspect the affected CMP actuator. Refer to Camshaft Cleaning and Inspection (See: Engine, Cooling and Exhaust\Engine\Service and Repair\Overhaul) .
Inspect the engine timing components. Refer to Timing Belt Replacement (See: Engine, Cooling and Exhaust\Engine\Timing Belt\Service and Repair) .
Component Testing

Measure the resistance of each CMP actuator solenoid valve assembly. Resistance should be between 8-12 ohms.
Connect a jumper wire between the CMP actuator low reference circuit at the solenoid and a good ground. Connect a fused jumper wire to the CMP actuator high control circuit at the solenoid. Momentarily touch the fused jumper to B+. Observe the spool valve inside the CMP actuator. The spool valve should move from fully closed to fully opened position.
Repair Instructions

Perform the Diagnostic Repair Verification (See: Verification Tests) after completing the diagnostic procedure.

Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement (See: Engine, Cooling and Exhaust\Engine\Variable Valve Timing Solenoid\Service and Repair)
Control Module References (See: Testing and Inspection\Programming and Relearning)for replacement, setup, and programming
© 2013 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience: ASE master tech for 40 years