DaveTheCarGuy
DaveTheCarGuy, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  AAS in Automotive Technology.

Integra LS: 1998 Integra LS. Idles very rough, has PLENTY of

1998 Integra LS. Idles very rough, has PLENTY of power, does not skip, new plugs, wires and DIZZY. 110,000 miles. Check engine light is blinking, P0301, P0302 and P1399 codes set on start up even after resetting the ECM.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 8 months ago.

Hi,My name is Tim,

I will do my best to assist you

did you do the complete tune up?plugs,rotor,distributer cap and the plug wires?

tell me all you can

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Good morning Tim. Yes, i did the complete tune up. plugs, rotor, cap wires and a new DIZZY. The check engine is blinking, P0301 ,P0302, P0303 P0304 and P1399 comes up on the scanner. I reset the ECM and the Check Engine comes up on the next start sequence with P0301 and P0302 set right away and the other two sometime in the next couple of start/stop sequences.

The car belongs to my Daughter-In-Law and I just learned the codes were set and the car Idling rough for at least 4 months. I'm sure you know how that goes!!LOL!

I read that when the Check Engine light is blinking as a direct relationship with the misfire codes, the CATs may be in trouble. But as I said..there is PLENTY of power. It jumps right up to 7000 with no hesitation. The Idle is quite rough and the exhaust has the tell-tale sound of a miss.

ok
i wouldnt think it is the catalyst sense it does have plenty of power..
what will happen to these is the distributer will wear out and cause the distributer shaft to flop around and cause the miss-fire,,,
i would think you will need to replace the distributer with a new rebuilt unit
46_au98integ_sm23-092b.png

If you are satisfied with my answer,Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work..I'm not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, ,please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I have replaced the distributor,(DIZZY). I assumed the ignition pack, which tends to degrade and cause these symptoms. No Joy.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I would like my questions answered
sorry
i had computer truble..
you replaced the complete distributer?
not just the dizzy?
please explain
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Yes. The complete distributor. Brand new.

ok
so you have already replaced everthing to do with the ignition exept one other thing that could cause this,,
i will optout,maybe one of the other guys has a better idea of what is going on here,,someone will be right with you
thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I would like an answer
Expert:  DaveTheCarGuy replied 8 months ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be helping you. Sounds like you've got all the basic bases covered with the ignition system, so lets look at the other systems:

Ignition Coil? I don't see it on your list of replaced parts, but it could easily cause these issues.

Bad Cat? Easiest way to test this it to unplug and remove the front 02 sensor, this gives the exhaust somewhere to go. Try running the vehicle, any improvement?

Timing issue? The timing belts on these vehicles can and do stretch, or even jump teeth. This can cause the issue you have where it is good at higher revs, but runs poorly at idle. You will need a timing light. Let me know if you want to go down this test path.

Injector issue? Some of the older Honda ECMs cannot differentiate between the cylinders, so you will get misfire codes for all when only one is the actual problem. A Blinking CEL means that you have a constant misfire situation. One of the way to test the injectors is to unplug the electrical connector on one at a time and see if the idle changes. If you get to one that doesn't affect the idle, you found your issue cylinder, and possibly your issue. To verify that injector as a failure you would swap it to a different cylinder and repeat the test.

Thanks,
Dave
DaveTheCarGuy, Car Enthusiast
Experience: AAS in Automotive Technology.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Hi Dave,

Ignition coil is in the distributor. Entire distributor was changed, new.

A friend has a graphing OBDII hand held. The o2 sensors are performing as expected. Fronts are large swings and rears are stable. I don't think anything as violent as the timing belt skipping teeth has occurred, I will try the injector disconnect and check the timing. I did unlock the distributor and swing it full throw, the idle changed as expected but did not effect the rough idle.