Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

toyota prado: 120 series prado 2006/7 diesel has developed

120 series prado 2006/7 diesel has developed a tappet sound in engine have had it checked at 2 dealers dont know what problem is now want to pull head off have checked tappets and injectors. problem started after pulling up hill stalled then restarted but with what sounded like tappet any suggestions
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

From what you have described here this does sound like an internal mechanical fault causing this noise.I have also seen noisy injectors cause a tapping type of noise.Unfortunately the only way to find out for sure is to have the engine further inspected internally to locate which component is causing this noise,this would require disassembly of the engine in most cases to locate this fault for repair.

I have also seen cam shaft and crank shaft bearing failure cause noises like this.It would be a good idea to have the engine oil sampled to see if there is any metal or bearing material in it as this will help with locating what may be at fault and then further tear down or inspection would need to be done from there.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete