Pete, Mechanic
Experience:  15 years automotive training and experience.

My mother own a 2007 autogearbox kia

Customer Question

My mother own a 2007 autogearbox kia picanto. The car (only 40 000 km) does not go forward. I changed oil that looked clear (not burnt) but always the same trouble. Reverse is ok. Local dealer tells she has to get a new gear box. very expensive. Have been told it could be sensor or solenoid. What do you think about it? Thanks.

Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is limited on this model here but I see no one has responded so I thought I would see if I can assist with this here.

If the check engine light has come on with this fault here this should help with locating the component at fault causing this.It is possible this is an internal mechanical fault in the transmission causing this as I have seen damaged clutches/bands and seals cause this type of fault and in some cases it is cheaper to replace the gear box then it is to remove and repair it.

I have also seen mechanical faults with transmission valve bodies that can cause an issue like this and in some cases shift solenoids as well.

It is difficult to say for sure from here on what needs to be done to correct this fault as it can be a mechanical issue,the best thing to do if you want is to get another hands on opinion from another shop or transmission repair facility to see what they say needs done.If they come to the same conclusion that the gear box needs replaced then this should be done to correct this fault.

Thanks Pete
Pete, Mechanic
Experience: 15 years automotive training and experience.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for answering Pete. getting a new gear box from here is more expensive than the car's value because we are on a small island in south Pacific so shipping and taxe are very expensive.. As I have mechanic skills I intend to remove and open the box to see inside. Nothing to loose ? Do you know where I could find the gearbox workshop manual? What do you think about this idea?

Regards.

Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
If you have experience with gear boxes and tools to work on them then this may be the best way to go here.Unfortunately I don't know of any place that carries info on this gear box with repair manuals.

Thanks Pete
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Hi Pete. Thanks for following up with me. The local dealer doesn't want do to tell me the reference number of this gear box. Do you know a cross reference data website to get this. I intend to order a rebuilt kit. Best regards. Philippe.

Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
Unfortunately I don't know of a web site to be able to do this on this vehicle here.You might check with local parts stores to see if they can assist with getting what you need as some have access to this kind of information.

Thanks Pete