Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

97 sl500: Hello. Its chris at Eurosport. Billy has helped me

Customer Question

Hello. Its chris at Eurosport. Billy has helped me in the past w some technical issues and have another one now. 97 sl 500. I have good spark. About 45 psi at the injectors for fuel. however my noid light is indicating that power is being cut to injectors while cranking. The parks stays. Ive replaced the crank sensor... Im getting stuck. I have a code P1570 that will not erase. Help?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

Tim's Auto Repair :

Hi,My name is Tim,

I will do my best to assist you

Tim's Auto Repair :

sense you get the 1570 and it wont clear

Tim's Auto Repair :

i would think your problem is the pcm[computer] itself

Tim's Auto Repair :

26_mb96dme04_9.5.11-019.png
Full Size Image

P1570 - P1747

Customer:

Thank Tim. I was not wanting to hear that but it makes sense. Are there any pins i can check for power or do you suggest plugging another ECM first.

Tim's Auto Repair :

stand by

Tim's Auto Repair :

i may have a pin out test

Customer:

Could it be a not reading the key issue?

Tim's Auto Repair :

i wouldnt think the keyy sense the starter does turn the engine

Tim's Auto Repair :

you areloosing injector pulse,,right?

Customer:

Yea.. im loosing the injector pulse. Spark stays

Tim's Auto Repair :

im trying to find a tests for you

Tim's Auto Repair :

i dont seem to have what you need

Tim's Auto Repair :

Motor electronics (ME-SFI) fuel injection and ignition system function

ENGINE 104.941 /943 /944 /991 /994as of 1.8.96
ENGINE 104.995
with CODE (494a) USA version
with CODE (807) Model year 1997
with CODE (808) Model year 1998
ENGINE 111.921 /942 as of 1.9.98,
111.943,
111.944 as of 1.8.96,
111.946 as of 1.6.98,
111.947 /973,
111.975 as of 1.8.96
ENGINE 111.945
in MODEL 208.335/435 as of 1.6.98,
202.020 /080 as of 1.9.98
ENGINE 111.974
with CODE (494a) USA version
with CODE (807) Model year 1997
with CODE (808) Model year 1998
ENGINE 112.910 /911 /912 /913 /914 /916 /917 /920 /921 /922 /923 /940 /941 /942 /943 /944 /946 /947 /949 /953 /954 /955 /970 /972 /973 /975
ENGINE 113.940 /941 /942 /943 /948 /960 /961 /963 /965 /966 /967 /968 /969
ENGINE 119.980 /981 /982 /985
ENGINE 120.982/ 983
ENGINE 137.970

40_mbGF07.61-P-0001F-001.jpg
Full Size Image

ME control unit input signals, shown on engine 119
A16 Knock sensors
B2/5 Hot film mass air flow sensor
B6/1 Camshaft Hall sensor
B11/4 Coolant temperature sensor
B17 Intake air temperature sensor
B24/7 Body acceleration sensor (up to 5/96)
B37 Accelerator pedal sensor
G3/3 Left O2 sensor, upstream TWC
G3/4 Right O2 sensor, upstream TWC
K40 Relay module
L5 Crankshaft position sensor
M16/1 Electronic accelerator (EA)/cruise control (CC) idle speed control (ISC) actuator
N3/10 ME-SFI [ME] control unit
N16/1 Base module
N19 AAC control unit
N22 AAC [KLA] control and operating unit
N47-1 ASR/SPS control unit
N47-5 ESP, SPS [PML] and BAS control unit
S9/1 Stop lamp switch
S40 CC [TPM] switch
S43 Oil level check switch (oil pan right side)
CAN Data bus
B Connection via CAN to the ETC [EGS] control units (N15/3), ASR/SPS (N47-1), ESP/SPS (N47-5, SA), IFRCL (N54)

64_mbGF07.61-P-0001F-002.jpg
Full Size Image

ME control unit output signals, shown on engine 119
55 Fuel filter 75 Fuel tank 77 Activated charcoal canister
A1e43 EPC malfunction indicator lamp (electronic power control)
K27 Fuel pump relay module
K40 Relay module
M3 Fuel pump
N3/10 ME control unit
G3/3 Left O2 sensor upstream of TWC
G3/4 Right oxygen sensor upstream TWC [KAT]
T1/1-T1/8 Ignition coils
X11/4 Diagnostic data link connector, 38-pin
Y49/1 Left adjustable camshaft timing solenoid
Y49/2 Right adjustable camshaft timing solenoid
Y58/1 Purge control valve
Y62 Fuel injection valves
CAN Data bus
F Fuel pump relay (K27), illustrated on model 140
g Relay module (K40), model 210

88_mbGF07.61-P-0001F-003.jpg
Full Size Image

Section through cylinder plane engine 112, 113
12 Variable intake manifold
17 Fuel rail
19 Exhaust manifold, air gap insulated
22 Variable flap
R4 Spark plugs (dual ignition)
Y62 Injector

The ME fuel injection and ignition system is a further development of the LH and DI and HFM systems, respectively.

The abbreviated designation ME 1.0 means:
M = Engine
e = Electronics
1.0 = Version
(further version e.g. 2.0, 2.1, 2.7, 2.7.1 or 2.8)

The following functions are combined in the ME-SFI control unit:
- Fuel injection
- Ignition
- Electronic accelerator with cruise control and idle speed control
- DTC memory/diagnostic system, complying with EURO3/4 or OBD II for (USA)
- Drive authorization system.

Fuel injection system
The fuel is injected by electromagnetic fuel injectors. These are actuated sequentially by the ME-SFI control unit, in other words an injector is assigned to each cylinder which meters the quantity of fuel computed for the cylinder.

The air mass is the main measured quantity for determining fuel metering. It is detected through the hot film mass air flow sensor or through the boost pressure sensor (when charging).

The ME control unit essentially analyzes the following information:
- Coolant temperature
- Air mass
- Engine speed
- Throttle valve position
- Intake air temperature
- Accelerator pedal position
- The vehicle speed
- Knock identification
- O2-sensor signals
- Ethanol share in fuel tank, only (USA) Flexible Fuel Vehicle (FFV).

Idle speed control
The idle speed is controlled by the throttle valve actuator, which is operated by the ME control unit, by altering the position of the throttle valve.

Camshaft adjustment
The inlet side camshaft of the engines 104, 111, 119 and 120 is adjusted on an electronic mapped basis by the ME-SFI control unit in the mid and upper engine speed and load range in order to boost the torque and power output.Engine 137 with one camshaft per cylinder bank also has camshaft adjustment.

CAN data bus
Dependent on year of construction, equipment and Model, control units are cross-linked via CAN. For example:
- RCL control unit
- ME control unit (Engine 120: left ME control unit and right ME control unit)
- AT control unit
- ABC control unit
- SBC control unit
- ETS/SPS [ETS/PML] control unit
- ESP / SPS <ESP / PML control unit
- ASR/SPS control unit
- Instrument cluster
- Electronic ignition switch.

Electronic accelerator
No mechanical link between accelerator pedal and throttle valve actuator. The pedal value sensor detects the accelerator pedal input for the ME-SFI control unit.

Transmission upshift delay (only AT and TWC)
The shift points of the automatic transmission are delayed in line with temperature, vehicle speed and time in order to more rapidly heat up the catalytic converter to its operating temperature.

ENGINE 120
There are two independent fuel injection and ignition systems fitted. A separate ME control unit is installed for cylinder 1 to 6 (right cylinder bank) and for cylinder 7 to 12 (left cylinder bank).

Ignition system
The high voltage is distributed without the use of moving parts, directly by the ignition coils to the spark plugs (rotorless high voltage distribution). The anti-knock control (AKC) function is integrated in the ME-SFI control unit.
Engine 119, 120: an ignition coil is positioned above each spark plug.
Engine 111, 104: a twin spark ignition coil is installed for each two cylinders.
Engine 112, 113: two spark plugs and a dual ignition coil are installed for each cylinder.
Engine 137: alternating voltage ignition system with ignition module for right and left cylinder bank, dual ignition.

Tim's Auto Repair :

please stand by

Tim's Auto Repair :

one of the other guys may have more info on this

Tim's Auto Repair :

someone will be right with you

Customer:

IM going to have a salvage yard bring a ECM tomorrow to plug in. Stand by

Tim's Auto Repair :

ok

Tim's Auto Repair :

let me know what happens

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris, my name isXXXXX can help. A P1570 is not an ECM fault code. A P1570 is typically caused by a faulty key. Additionally, you cannot swap ECM's on a 97 as they are coded to the VIN number. I would first see if the customer has a spare key that you can try. If there is no key available I would order a new key from the dealer before you go any further.

Let me know how you make out.

Marty
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris, I'm just following up with you on the Mercedes. Did you try another key for the car?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey Marty.. sorry already at home thinking about this car as you can imagine..I did think that Ecm would be coded thanks.

The customer only got one key with car when purchased..

I have the proper Mercedes scanner and heard there is a way to go into DAS EZL to see if key is reading.? May be the module behind instrument cluster?

Thank you for getting back to me. I'll follow up with you in the AM if its ok.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey Marty.. sorry already at home thinking about this car as you can imagine..I did think that Ecm would be coded thanks. The more I think about it..sounds like a Key issue

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris, on the 97 you may not be able to see if the key is actually being recognized you might just get the code coming back after you erase the code and try restarting. If you keep getting the P1570 you need to order a new key first. I assume that you have already checked all of the fuses in the car.

Let me know how you make out or if you need more help with this. By the way I see that you have rated the answer from the previous expert rather than my answer. Did you intend to do that or were you trying to rate my service? Let me know and I can have it corrected.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

goodmorning MArty. I agree need to get another key first. Just have to get the customer to understand the workings of her problem. Ill be doing so today and will be in touch as i go ..again thank you so much.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

goodmorning MArty. I agree need to get another key first. I have checked all the fuses so. Just have to get the customer to understand the workings of her problem. Ill be doing so today and will be in touch as i go ..again thank you so much.

That was not a mistake. i believe in "giving to get" so you will get the same feedback if not better.

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good Chris, I'll wait to hear from you.

Marty
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Marty..I have looked into replacing the DAS controller behind instrument cluster. Only to find out its @ 850.00 and the dealer will not sale the unit. I'm wondering if this could be the problem in addition to the key. Trying not to have to take to dealer but I'm also a bit shakey about ordering a key and the car still doesn't start. Im guessing either way I should still get another key first. What is your thought on it possibly being the DAS CONTROLLER?

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
I can tell you that I have never had to replace a DAS control module on this model Chris. I would order the key first.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No guts no glory Marty... I'm ordering now. Should be here Tuesday. Thanks for that reply. I'll be in touch when I get the key. You have a great day

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Chris, I hope everything works out. I'll wait to hear from you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Marty... so i have a new key here. Is there anything i need to do before cranking the engine. As far as synching? I notice that the key is not unlocking locking doors. Have not tried to start yey.

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris, the key should work straight away. You just need to program the remote for the locks. Click here for the procedure. Let me know how you make out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yea.. still no start Marty.

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris, can you perform a quick test and list all of the fault codes stored in all modules?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will do. I got a few other things going right now so I'll do it first thing in morning

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I'll look for your reply sometime tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Goodmorning Marty. So what am i looking for in the short test?

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris, I'd like you to run the test and post all of the results here for me to review. I am leaving for an appointment and won't be back for a couple of hours. I'll look for your reply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

me1re p1570. Fault in DAS to Engine cont module. (will not erase)

EGS 114 sporadically selector lever imp[lausible

113 sporadic fault in entire CAN communication

RV-soft top bow a23/52 limit locked

ATA-drivers door actuator alarm triggered by door, by brake, by ignition, by trunk lid

AB srs airbag malfuntion indicator a1e15i

KLA- B1420 idle speed increase

B1422 serial interface k1 from instrument cluster to Ac cont. mod

B1416 heating water pump circulation pump

b1417 duo valve y21

B1419

B1459

cannot get into HFM ME2, ME RE, LH1, LH2, EZ1, EZ2, DM, EFP,TPM, GM..

hoping this is what youre looking for. Also this morning when i turn on the key the electric fans are now running?...

Marty just for grins i double checked fuel pressure and spark. the injector noid light may flash twice then stop..almost starts when it flashes. signal goes away

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Chris I'm stuck at my appointment for awhile. I'll get back to you asap.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris, can you access the DAS control module with the HHT?

(also make sure that the battery is still charged)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hey Marty i'll try when I get to the shop this morning. Back at you as soon as. May need to ask help navigating scanner. This is probably my last day with the vehicle as I'm sure the customer is not happy with me at this point. Maybe I'll figure it out today! Fingers crossed

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
I'll be around in the afternoon Chris. I'll look for your reply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Marty i need to learn when to let go. Im in it too deep to continue digging. Just smooged over the customer as best as i could. Ill be eating the key and labor. I appreciate you and your time on this matter.

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
I understand Chris. Before you throw in the towel did you ever get the new remote working to lock and unlock the doors?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did. i wanna make sure that i gave you a good rating.

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.
Ok, if the new key locks and unlocks the car but you still get the P1570 after you erase the code and try starting the car I would have to suspect that the DAS control module is faulty. When you insert the key the transponder around the ignition switch reads the key data and sends it to the DAS control module. The module checks the key to be sure it is valid and then sends a signal over the CAN to the ECM authorizing a start. If you could get into the DAS module with the HHT you should be able to see if the key is being recognized. A faulty transponder could also cause this type of failure.

I don't feel as though I have helped you out much with this Chris. As far as I'm concerned you do not owe me anything on this question.

Marty