Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

Mazda MPV: Got an unexpected surprise from the mechanic. My

Got an unexpected surprise from the mechanic. My car, started smelling about 2 weeks ago. I thought it was my brakes, because it had a burn smell turns out the mechanic says these two repairs are what is wrong with my car. $1,500 was not what I was expecting to shell out. My question is why is this cost so dang high and am I being overcharged?

2004 Mazda MPV 3.0 L 2967 CC V6 DOHC 24 Valve
Fleet Number LX

--- Labor/Notes ---
$497.44 REPLACE TEMP SENSOR PIPE AND COOLANT SENSOR
$38.50 COOLING SYSTEM FLUID EXCHANGE
INCLUDES: REMOVE AS MUCH OLD COOLANT AS POSSIBLE BY FLUSHING OUT WITH FRESH COOLANT AND REFILLING WITH PROPER TYPE AND AMOUNT OF COOLANT.
$0.00 IN STOCK PER TOM CAN GET TOMMOROW
--- Parts ---
$81.25 WATER TEMP SWITCH
$204.35 WATER OUTLET REAR OF ENGINE AT TEMP SENSOR
$14.95 BARS LEAK HD CONC
$50.88 Antifreeze / Cooling System - 1.5L
--- Charge/Misc ---
$14.67 ANTIFREEZE WAST DISPOSAL FEE
EPA ENVIRONMENTAL FEE
------------------------------
$535.94 Labor
$351.43 Parts
$0.00 Sublet
$39.73 SUPPLIES/EQUIPMENT
$14.67 Charges
$31.45 Sales Tax (Tax @ $405.83 * 7.7500%)
------------------------------
$973.22 Repair Total

AND THIS
--- Labor/Notes ---
$381.60 VALVE COVER GASKET R&R M
$17.50 OIL FILTER LUBE CHANGE AND SERVICE
CHANGE OIL {UP TO FIVE QUARTS}, CHANGE FILTER/ LUBE CHASSIS, AIR UP TIRES, TOP OFF ALL FLUIDS.
***********************************************************************************************
NOTE: RESET OIL REMINDER WHEN EQUIPPED
$0.00 MAIL OIL LEAK GETTING ON EXHUAST AND BURNING
$0.00 RESEAL AND RETEST. WILL BURN OFF FOR A WHILE
$0.00 MAY HAVE OTHER LEAKS SEAL FROM THE TOP DOWN.
--- Parts ---
$103.65 Valve Cover Gasket Set
$46.18 UPPER PLENUM GASKET
$25.50 NAPA SAE 5W20 MOTOR OIL QT
$3.15 OIL FILTER PRO SELECT
--- Charge/Misc ---
$3.00 OIL WASTE DISPOSAL FEE
EPA DISPOSAL ENVIRONMENT FEE
Note: M - Labor Database, Copyright, Mitchell International, All Rights Reserved
------------------------------
$399.10 Labor
$178.48 Parts
$0.00 Sublet
$39.73 SUPPLIES/EQUIPMENT
$3.00 Charges
$17.14 Sales Tax (Tax @ $221.21 * 7.7500%)
------------------------------
$637.45 Repair Total
Category: Car
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

im sorry for the long wait did you still need help ?

im assuming the smell was the engine leaking coolant that you were smelling ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes we still need help. They said the smell is from the oil dripping onto the exhaust manifold but the leak itself is not dripping onto my the garage floor. So this leak is minor but is occurring. The coolant leak is also a very minor leak as well and it is not dripping enough to deposit onto the floor. It apparently is burning up before it gets to the ground. I had no idea I even had a leak as I thought the burn smell might have been bad break pads. No check engine light or anything. My concern is that this is a $1500 repair with roughly $1000 of this being labor. That to me says that they have this at roughly 10 hours of wor k or more depending on their hourly charge. So I have listed exactly what they have told me they want to repair. They have the coolant listed as a safety repair but the oil leak listed as a suggested repair. So as far as the labor goes I'm concerned that they are being a bit excessive on the amount of hours that they are actually putting into fixing both of these issues at the same time.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

it sounds like there is a little bit of double dipping here

as some of the things that need to be removed for the valve cover gaskets also need to be removed for the coolant pipe

Stephanie is this an independent shop you went too ?

do you use this shop all the time ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a shop I have taken my car to for repairs on both our mazdas for the past two years but the shop ownership changed hands this past year. It is an independent shop and not a chain. Previous repairs seemed high but we were at a point where it didn't seen excessive. However in seeing the labor cost for both of these repairs being done at the same time red flags went up even on the oil leak alone being charged as a 4 hour repair.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

yes the valve covers gasket replacement is a 4 hour job as the upper intake manifold must be removed to access the rear valve cover as the intake is mounted over the rear valve cover

I would just like if you go to a DR get a second opinion at another shop and estimate and diagnosis

if in fact that coolant pipe is leaking the labor is @ 4 hours

I would get one or two more estimates

if all come in the same then fix one leak at a time and not both at once to save the big bill all in one shot

the priority should be the coolant leak as that can over heat the engine

as for the oil leak you can keep your eye on the oil level until its fixed

Gary, Technician
Experience: GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you. I will take the car in for a second opinion. The coolant leak was charged at 5.5 hours labor. The oil leak was charged at 4 hours labor totaling 9.5 hours of labor to fix both of these issues at the same time which seems excessive to me. Thank you for your service.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

any time Stephanie

you can always get me back through this post with any follow up anytime with this problem even after you rate us here at Justanswer !