Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

I have a Renault Initiale 2005 estate

I have a Renault Initiale 2005 estate tourer with a carminav satnav. Everything went well until my battery went flat and I jumped the car with jump leads from my wife's car. This caused the fuse to the Cabasse unit and satnav to blow. When the fuse was replaced everything worked ok until I went down a road that was not marked on the disc. The satnav lost itself. I reset the current location and it continually loses itself regularly. I have seen other people with this problem and they suspect arial. I took the unit out and made sure the arial points were clean, and put it back. It still has the same problem. Any ideas. Henry XXXXXX

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The jump start may have caused a voltage surge/spike that may have damaged some of the electronics for the navigation system like the navigation processor/control unit itself.I have seen this type of fault before on other models and had to replace the nav control unit/processor to correct this issue.

If this was not an issue before hand before the jump start I suspect this is the case here.I would have the nav system checked into/tested further to see if this is the case.This may be best checked/tested by a shop or dealer with experience with this model as they would have the correct diagrams and diagnostic equipment to do this testing.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It has been into the local Renault dealer and I presume they have done a diagnostic check on the satnav. All they said was that the only thing they could do was to reload the software but this did not cure the problem. A new unit would cost many 100's of pounds which obviously I am not keen on. The unit only goes wrong when on roads that are not on the disc. Other than that it works perfectly. Your help does not tell me any more than I have already learnt. The GPS sign stays grey and according to the instruction manual it should go green when receiving a signal that is why I suspect the arial and others have had the same problem. The clock also could not be changed. After cleaning the clock was able to be reset and the GPS sign went green but it now is grey which again leads me to suspect the arial..

O.k.,I wasn't aware the signal was lost like this or going gray on the display.This does sound like an aerial fault here.My info is limited on this model but I do know some vehicles have an antennae/aerial amplifier to help boost the signal.If your vehicle has this type of booster/amplifier it is possible this is the component at fault.

If it does not I suspect the aerial may be the case here at fault,it is just odd that this has failed like this after the jump start.

The dealer/shop should be able to test the aerial to see if it is at fault.If found o.k. I suspect this may be a fault with the control unit itself not seeing the gps signal.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete