Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

Audi A6 Quattro: 2004 A6 Quattro 2.7T. Limp Mode

2004 A6 Quattro 2.7T. 118,000. I work at a Ford dealer. Brought the car into the wash rack for 45 minutes before I left work. Started it up to back out, tranny slammed into reverse, shift selector was all red but NO check engine or other lights - in limp mode. Limped down the street about a half mile and did a complete shutdown/restart and then it ran perfectly. Don't know if if it's connected but feeling some minor rear end "flutter" or "wobble" shifting between 3rd and 4th (AutoTiptronic) when it's cold but otherwise the car runs and drives great. Car has NOT had a tranny flush and fluid replace. Torque Convertor was replaced in 2010 at 98,000. Any ideas for me?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If the vehicle was washed including the under carriage I would check and make sure no wiring is wet at any connection/connector.I have seen in some cases where connectors can take in water and cause the wiring to short and can cause a fault like this here.This sounds like an electrical issue since you were able to cycle the key off and then back on and the main part of the faults were corrected.

I would also double check and make sure nothing is bent or damaged under the vehicle if this was put up on a hoist or rack as a bent component may be causing issues with the vehicle speed sensor or possibly other sensors like wheel speed sensors.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Pete, Thanks for the reply. I did not wash the underside. The car was in the shop in August for an inspection and nothing visual was found but the tech drove the car and felt a vibration in the rear and suggested it could be a bent or unbalanced drive shaft. The limp mode thing happened last year, too. After 10 hours sitting outside in wind and frigid temps it went into this limp mode. On that occasion it would barely move forward but after about 20 minutes idling, it was fine. This time was strange because when I started it to bring it inside, it started fine and was not in limp mode. As I mentioned, no check engine or other warning lights, just the RED shift selector indicating limp. Can a dirty or clogged transmission filter on a cold start cause the limp mode?

If the engine is running and revving up properly when this fault occurs and the only fault is the vehicle doesn't want to move or shift properly when this occurs then this can be a restricted transmission filter in some cases.It may also be a fault with debris build up in the transmission itself as I have seen and have had to perform transmission flushes for in the past to correct.You might start with a transmission flush and then change out the filter and see if this corrects the fault.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I appreciate that and was thinking the same thing myself about the flush and filter. I didn't buy the bent or unbalanced drive shaft either, since it only happens now and then - especially on cold starts. The tranny flush and filter is the best bet, first, I agree. I will give you a good rating for the advise :-) It took about 4 hours or more for someone to get to me, though. :- l Thanks.

I apologize for the delay.I replied as soon as I saw your question.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.I don't think you have anything bent since the problem comes and goes like this,if you did the problem would be there all of the time.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete