Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

mini cooper: hi every 2 weeks I have to fill the cooling reservoir

hi every 2 weeks I have to fill the cooling reservoir on my 2003 mini cooper im not loseing any antifreeze what can it be?
chris

im sorry your having this problem

how much do you have to add in what amount of time ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just 2 glass full

ok Chris since you added 2 glass full of coolant how long did you drive it since that 2 glasses was it low again ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it about 2 weeks now I only fill the the overflow tank I dont see white smoke in the back and the car is not over heating and I dont see any leaks

Ok Chris since you added to 2 glass full of coolant in the 2 weeks of driving is the coolant level low again ?

im sorry for all the questions but I want to be sure to give you the correct answer

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes the over flow is low again

Ok Chris if you see NO signs of any external coolant leaking under the car or under the hood looking good the next step is a shop will have to connect a coolant pressure tester to your coolant system and pressurize the coolant system and see if the pressure drops on the test gauge if it does there is a leak they will have to do a visual with the car up in the air and check all the coolant hoses and radiator connections ect.. and make 100% sure the leak is not an external leak

if it is an external leak they will be able to see it and then repair it

if there is NO external leaks then the leak would have to be leaking into the engine more than likely the engine oil as if coolant was getting into a cylinder it would misfire and possibly smoke

usually most internal leaks are head gasket issues

the odds are its a simple external coolant leak and the small amount you are loosing you just may not be able to see it drip because its such a small leak

Chris that is how this problem will get fixed on your car

Chris you can always get me back through this post at any time with any follow up questions even after you rate us here at Justanswer !

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you big help

Chris anytime