Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

1998 isuzu trooper trooper: If you can give me some guidance

Customer Question

If you can give me some guidance i would apprecieat it. I gave up on doing it myself and brought he dam thing to my good friend who is an excellent mechanic and he is stumped! We have cleared up all the vacume leaks,replaced leaky fuel injector orings,egr gasket etc. Ran a spark plug firing check with an inline tester(perfect firing). The only thing we haven't got into is bad cat converters or bad computer. When we started it up after all the above and put your hand on the top of the engine you could feel a rough engine. Could it be timing belts and why? Ray

Category: Car
Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

Welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

im sorry your having this problem

so at idle the engine is skipping or not firing on all ?

will it drive down the road ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

please bare with me-i am having a lot of trouble with this site getting on and asking questions-this is my third attempt to get to talk to you. let me know if we are connected. The car will start perfectly and you can feel it run a little rough but plenty of acceleration. Put it drive and it bucks and has lost power. If i drive it at 20m0h i can get it home but no umph! It's not a skip it's a load problem.

Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

yes what you just sent I can read

ok so the engine actually runs good just when you floor it the engine will bog down and act like its being choked out and will not have power ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Yup-it will buck and not have any power-let off of the gas and it will stop bucking and it will limp along at 20 mph. Can't smell any rich gas or cat converter smells.

Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

Ray are there any codes in the computer at all ?

how old is the fuel filter in this ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

did you get my last reply-it said brand new fuel filter etc. i am still having trouble with this site-i go back and fourth to my e-mail-we will get through this-tell me when you are ready to give up because i am thinking of parking the dam thing and rent a car until it warms up a bit!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

only code that comes up is p300-it does not specify a particulair cylinder

Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.
Ray to eliminate a possible restricted or plugged cat convertor can you remove the O2 sensor in front of the cat convertor and take it for a quick ride and see if the power comes back ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

as i said i took the car to my friends garage-so i am home on my computer taking to you. last night we and i were talking about pulling the o2 sensors out and seing what happens. I will get in touch with him asap and get back to you- i don't know how long i will be so hang in there. My only question is why would this all of a sudden just come on-don't cat converters give a indication that they are clogging up in advance???

Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.

hard to say why all of the sudden

try it with the O2 sensors out if it still does this perform a compression test on all 6 cylinders and tell me what the PSI is on all 6 cylinders

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

ok-will get back to you-may be awhile-ray

Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.
No rush Ray let me know
Gary, Technician
Experience: GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

gary WOOPY!!!! got it!!!! removed co2's and power came back-I thank you for everything-my compression was 135-160 accross the board. My friend at the other end just called me and nailed it. Now I got to get two cat's and get them in...

Expert:  Gary replied 9 months ago.
great job im glad the powers back