Pete, Mechanic
Experience:  15 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

2008 santa fe limited awd, erratic fuel gauge reading,head lights di

2008 santa fe limited awd, erratic fuel gauge reading,head lights dim when you let off the accelerator and go back to normal at idle,if you have the radio on and shut the vehicle off,when you come back and turn the key the radio is off
sometimes a check engine light. all these things took place at about the same time,whats up
Submitted: 1 year ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you with this today.

With the fuel gage issue this can usually be caused by a fault with the fuel level sensor itself inside the fuel tank.

With the lights dimming this can be caused by low alternator output.I would have the battery charging system tested to see if there is a fault with the alternator itself.

As for the radio issue this may be caused by the voltage issue causing the lights to dim as well or an internal electrical fault in the radio.

With the check engine light on the fault codes should be checked using a scan tool that can communicate with the vehicle computers to see what codes have set.Once this has been done then it can be diagnosed as to what is at fault and repaired from there.

These are most common for what you have described here and need checked into further to locate the fault.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks for the answer, usualy when this many things all happen at once i would think there is a common issue,battery and alternator system checked out ok. do any of these things have a common ground and that could be acting up or a possible issue with the ecu.i have seen online other owners of these that have had the same complaint but never seem to see what the fix was.if the end result is that it needs to go to a dealer then that is what i will do.thanks again for the help

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,if all of these issues occur at the same time it is possible this is a ground issue for these components or possibly even a damaged,loose or corroded voltage or ground cable itself.

If you haven't checked to see if your battery cables are loose or corroded at the battery and to where they run this should be done to see if anything is found at fault with the cables.I would also check any voltage feed cables into the fuse boxes to see if any connections are loose there.

If these are all o.k. then it may be best to have a dealer duplicate the fault and when duplicated they can test to see if this is a fault being caused by a loss of ground or voltage then they can determine from there on what to check to locate the fault.

I don't see any common ground or voltage signals myself that would cause this here so this would need to be duplicated and tested further to locate the source for repair.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Mechanic
Experience: 15 years automotive training and experience.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete