Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic,foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

e 270 cdi: What would cause a 03 e270 cdi to vibrate at low

What would cause a 03 e270 cdi to vibrate at low gear and when slowing down, going down a ramp and accelerating uphill. Worst during traffic jams. All smooth after 2000 rpm.

Hello, welcome. My name isXXXXX will do my very best to
assist you with your question.

Are there any type of warning lights coming on?

Also how did the fluid look when it was changed?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There were no warning light.

The ATF was of normal "due for change" color but th axle oil gave out a terrible smell. The mechanic told me that the axle oil was never changed.

Best regards.

From what you are describing this is a failing torque converter that is causing this problem,the internal converter splines are starting to slip and the converter will likely need to be replaced which requires removal of the transmission. Also the front pump would need to be checked when the converter is changed as there is normally sub-damage.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is a complete overhaul of the transmission required? Or just replace the torque converter with a reconditioned unit.?

What is the estimated cost and workshop hours to complete any of the above option.

Best regards.

Just replacing the converter and pump is all that is needed. The labor is about 5 hours and the parts $1000
Let me know if you need further assistance. Thank you.