Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

T4: volkswagen t4 2.5l diesel tdi. Has a loud ticking noise

volkswagen t4 2.5l diesel tdi. Has a loud ticking noise in time with the engine and constant. possible sounding louder on the left side (as looking under bonnet). does not dissipate with pumping brakes hard. No loss of power, brakes and clutch seem all good, no oil leaks as far as i can see. cam belt change last year. any ideas?
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If this noise is internal in the engine itself unfortunately usually it will need to be taken apart some to locate the cause of this noise here for repair.I have seen worn cam shaft lobes that can cause this as well as lifters or other moving mechanical components that can wear and develop slack in them.

This will need to be investigated further to locate which component is causing this and once located then it can be repaired to correct it.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I understand it just needs to be looked at again. I have since discovered as the cam belt has been changed since the noise commenced so i would have thought they would have found a potential problem in that area when doing that. As has the water filter been done and the timing checked etc. but they still can't seem to see whats wrong. I hear a lot of stories like this about baffling ticking noises in t4s. was just after a few more common identified problems with this specific vehicle and a few more ideas of what it could be. would worn cam shaft lobes be noted on changing the cam belt, and what and where are lifters!!? i will take your two suggestions forward when i go to a mechanic though, but any further help would be much appreciated as a couple of mechanics here don't have much knowledge on t4s specifically

Did they replace the timing belt tensioner?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will find out!
O.k.,if they did not this can be a common component to cause this type of noise here.This should always be replaced when replacing the timing belt.

Thanks Pete