Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification In Automotive and Medium/Heavy Trucks and L2 Certification. College Instructor of Automotive Technology.

I have a 2007 American Eagle 42V RV powered by a 500 HP ISM

I have a 2007 American Eagle 42V RV powered by a 500 HP ISM Cummins mated to an Allison 4000 transmission. Last week, I attempted to start the RV. I turned the key to the "on" position and waited for the "wait to start" light to go away which took about 2 seconds. I then turned the key to the start position. Upon doing so, the motor "turned over" for about 1/2 second before stopping. I think got the following messages on the in dash display; "Battery Voltage Error", "Engine Comm Failure", and "Trans Comm Failure". I checked the chassis batteries (2) and they read 13 volts 99% charged. I checked the house batteries (4) and they were around 5 volts and 5% charged. I plugged the RV into shore power and let the batteries charge for a day. The batteries were then 100% charged and I tried to start the RV again. When I turned the key to the "on" position, I received the same 3 messages as above and turning to the "start" position which produced no difference from the "on" position. The chassis batteries and the house batteries each have a "master switch". I have cycled both "master switches" several times. I do believe both master switches are working properly as other devices that run on the batteries turn off and on when the master switches are cycled. I have checked the fuses for the engine and transmission and can not find any blown fuses. There are also relays that go to the engine and transmission in the same fuse panel, but I do not know how to check if a relay is bad. Any suggestions?
I've seen this happen before when the ground cable to the starter goes bad. On the back of the starter itself you should see a large power and a large ground cable. Check both ends of both of these cables. You likely have some frayed, corroded or burned wires. I have occasionally had to strip away some of the wire insulation near the ends in order to see all of the corrosion. If this is the case you can typically cut off the ends and get new connectors and use your same wires again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the suggestion. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I'm planning on giving it a try this afternoon.

Sounds good. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It wasn't the battery cables, but that pointed me in the right direction. Behind the battery box was a bird's nest of wires zip-tied together. Within those wires were several in-line fuses. There was a 60 amp in-line fuse that was blown. I replaced the fuse and it fired right up.

Glad you got it. Let me know if I can be of help with anything in the future.