Jack
Jack, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  I have been an automotive technician for over 15 years and have worked on most makes and models.
72783663

buick park avenue: Hello . . . have a 98 buick park avenue

Customer Question

Hello . . . have a 98 buick park avenue . . . love it, but two problems: first, the radio periodically cuts out, then comes back on, whenever (seems to be a sound problem, since clock stays accurate, and if a CD was playing, it returns to the place the CD WAS playing when it comes back on . . . and second, the car used to start almost immediately when turning the key . . . now it spins over several times, and appears to be getting worse . . i h ave run three tanks of fuel with injector cleaner through it, replaced the plugs and pcv, tried turning ignition on without starting to see if fuel pump check valve was leaking . . . now, after several cranks, if i lightly depress the accelerator it usually starts . . . i don't think it would even start if i tried using the remote starter . . . what's up ?
Category: Car
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

thanks for using just answer, My name is Jack (MR.PUTTPUTT) and I am sorry to hear you are having a couple of problems. the radio problem is going to be an internal problem with the radio and will need a replacement radio this is a common problem with the radio model and I have replaced several of them. the starting problem is more than likely the fuel regulator on the fuel rail this part starts to leak over time and makes a long start/crank condition. let me see if I can get you a picture loaded of it so you can check it.

Jack, Auto Service Technician
Experience: I have been an automotive technician for over 15 years and have worked on most makes and models.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Ed, your engine may have a cover over it that will be held on by the oil filler neck if so remove this and then that will expose the upper intake, the picture that I loaded look to arrow number 1 this is a vacuum line that hooks to the fuel regulator, what you want to do is start the engine and shut it off then pull off the vacuum line and see if there is any fuel/wetness in the line if so then you need a new pressure regulator, this is very common problem also. Jack if you would do the pressure regulator test and let me know the results thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jack,

The image you have provided is exactly what mine looks like . . . however I have checked two auto parts stores, and neither of them has this style fuel regulator . . . why would that be ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning Ed, if they do not stock the item they can order it, did you check and see if you have fuel coming into the vacuum hose? also the replacement fuel regulator may look a little different as you will have to remove the old one from its housing if you look at it close you will see that it is held in place by a clip and then the fuel regulator is an insert. let me see if I can find a picture for you.
Jack