Technician Chris
Technician Chris, Technician
Experience:  I am a certified ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Specialist and over 15 years experience.
29613880

Kia Spectra EX: My 2004 Kia Spectra drivers side door will

My 2004 Kia Spectra drivers side door will not open from the inside; opens from outside only.  I am a single lady, average mechanical ability so I need very specific instructions on how to fix this problem.  Thanks!  P.S.  I work full time so only available by phone after 6 p.m. Pacific Standard Time. 

Most likely the inner door handle will need to be replaced. The other possibility is the cable system from the door handle to the latch. (This is less likely, but is possible.) You will need to remove the inner door handle and see behind it for the problem part. See below for the procedure on replacing the door handle. It really is just one screw, and 2 cables. You do not have to remove the door panel.

Removal

1. Remove inside door handle assembly.

graphic

• Remove one screw on inside door handle.
  • Disconnect inside door handle rod of door lock assembly from inside door handle.
  • NOTE: you do not have to remove the 2 door panel screws (they are just in the picture due to the picture is shared with the door panel procedure.)
  •  

Installation
    Position inside door handle.

1. Connect inside door handle rod of door lock assembly to inside door handle.
    2. Install inside door handle.

See below for the cable system form the inner handle to the latch and the outer handle to the latch.

graphic

- If the handle is ok, then I will need to give you more info on how to replace the cables or possibly the latch assembly. What is also common is the little plastic clip that connects the cables to the latch breaks, and, unfortunately, you cannot just replace the clip, but have to replace the entire latch assembly. Start by checking the door handle 1st, and let me know if you need further assistance.

Thank you for the positive rating. It is very much appreciated. Please let me know if I can assist further.