Technician Chris
Technician Chris, Technician
Experience:  I am a certified ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Specialist and over 15 years experience.

Chrysler Town & Country Touring: What gear 4 incorrect

What gear 4 incorrect ratio and intermediate shaft speed mean? Are they covered under the 2010 Town & Country Powertrain warranty?
Category: Car
Expert:  Technician Chris replied 8 months ago.
I assume you have a check engine light on with that fault code? The PCM has detected a fault internal to the transmission and has set a P700 code - P7xx. Yes, this will be covered under the power train warranty and will be repaired at no charge to you, so looks like you are in need of a trip to the dealer. If you give me the code, I can give you more info on the exact issue, but any internal trans fault will be covered.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Yes the check engine light is on. Two codes came up on the scan P0734 and P0792

P0734-GEAR RATIO ERROR IN 4TH

Theory of Operation

The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) uses two speed sensors, one to measure input RPM and one to measure output RPM. These inputs are essential for proper transmission operation. Therefore, the integrity of this data is verified through data checks. When in gear, if the gear ratio does not compare to a known gear ratio, the corresponding gear ratio error trouble code is set. The transmission will go into Limp-in mode after four gear ratio error events occur in a given driving cycle.

• When Monitored: The Transmission gear ratio is monitored continuously while the transmission is in gear.
  • Set Condition: If the ratio of the Input RPM to the Output RPM does not match the current gear ratio when compared to the known gear ratio.

graphic

P0792-COMPOUNDER SPEED RATIO ERROR

Theory of Operation

The transmission control system uses three speed sensors, one to measure input rpm, one to measure Transfer Speed output rpm of the main transmission assembly, and a third to measure the final transmission output rpm. These inputs are essential for proper transmission operation. Therefore, the integrity of this data is verified through system checks.

• When Monitored: The transmission gear ratio is monitored continuously while the transmission is in gear.
  • Set Condition: If there is an excessive change in the Output RPM in any gear.

graphic

Technician Chris, Technician
Experience: I am a certified ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Specialist and over 15 years experience.
Thank you for the positive rating. It is very much appreciated. Please let me know if I can assist further.