Technician Chris
Technician Chris, Technician
Experience:  I am a certified ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Specialist and over 15 years experience.
29613880

Accord EX Coupe: My DLC is not communicating with my scanner.

My DLC is not communicating with my scanner. I have a Honda 2002 accord ex 2 door. I only have 6 wires in my DLC. 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 16

graphic

Here is the testing procedure:

graphic

1. Measure voltage between DLC terminal No.16 and body ground. Is there battery voltage?

YES - Go to step 2.
NO -

Repair open in the wire between DLC terminal No. 16 and the ACGS (15 A ) fuse in the under-hood fuse/relay box.

graphic

1. Measure voltage between DLC terminals No.4 and No.16. Is there battery voltage?

YES - Go to step 3.
NO - Repair open in the wire between DLC terminal No.4 and body ground (G401).

graphic

• Measure voltage between DLC terminals No.5 and No.16. Is there battery voltage?
  •  

YES - Go to step 4.
    NO - Repair open in the wire between DLC terminal No.5 and body ground (G101).

1. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).

graphic

• Measure voltage between DLC terminals No.5 and No.7. Is there 8.5 V or more?
  •  

YES - Go to step 10.
    NO - Go to step 6.

1. Turn the ignition switch OFF.
    2. Disconnect ECM/PCM connector A (32P). Make sure the OBD II scan tool or Honda PGM Tester is disconnected from the DLC.

graphic

• Check for continuity between DLC terminal No.7 and body ground. Is there continuity?
  •  

YES - Repair short to ground in the wire between DLC terminal No.7 and the ECM/PCM (A21). After repairing the wire, check the DTC with the OBD II scan tool/Honda PGM Tester and go to the DTC Troubleshooting index.
    NO - Go to step 9.

graphic

• Check for continuity between DLC terminal No.7 and ECM/PCM terminal A21. Is there continuity?
  •  

YES - Substitute a known-good ECM/PCM and recheck. If the symptom/indication goes away, replace the original ECM/PCM.
    NO - Repair open in the wire between DLC terminal No.7 and the ECM/PCM (A21). After repairing the wire, check the DTC with the OBD II scan tool/Honda PGM Tester and go to the DTC Troubleshooting index.

1. Turn the ignition switch OFF.
    2. Disconnect ECM/PCM connector A(32P). Make sure the OBD II scan tool or Honda PGM Tester is disconnected from the DLC.
    3. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).

graphic

1. Measure voltage between DLC terminals No.5 and No.7. Is there 0 V ?

NO - Repair short to power in the wire between the DLC terminal No.7 and the ECM/PCM (A21). After repairing the wire, check the DTC with the OBD II scan tool/Honda PGM Tester and go to the DTC Troubleshooting index.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The terminals on my DLC for numbers 9-16 are reversed from the diagram you sent. Terminals 1-8 are shown the same as the diagram. On my connector 1 and 16 are on the same side (top and bottom row) and 8 and 9 are on the same side (top and bottom row)

There is a note under the pic saying that the terminal numbers are for the SAE standard, and may differ from the location Honda labels them as. The actual numbering is the same, so you can follow the procedure above, just be sure to probe the terminal numbers and don't pay attention to the location.

Example:

You number 12 terminal is going to be the same as the procedure, even though the physical location of the terminal is different. If the number is XXXXX same, the wire is the same.

Thank you for the positive rating. It is very much appreciated. Please let me know if I can assist further.