Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

Volvo xc90: I have a Volvo and it starts every time but I sometimes

I have a Volvo and it starts every time but I sometimes have trouble getting it out of park and i need to sit and wait a minute or so before it will change?
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In some cases this can be a fault with a brake sensor/switch that tells the shifter and vehicle computers that the brake has been pressed so it will allow the shifter to then be released from park.

When this fault occurs check and see if you have brake lights when the brake pedal is pressed.If you do not then most likely this is the case here with a faulty brake switch or brake sensor causing this needing replaced.

I have seen internal electrical faults in the shifters as well cause this type of issue.

If the brake lights do operate when this fault occurs I would have the shifter assembly checked into to see if this is a possible issue with an electronic solenoid on the shifter at fault.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete