b5demon
b5demon, Technician
Experience:  ASE and Chrysler certified master technician with over 17 year in dealer
13235514

Land Rover Discovery Series II: Hi - I have a 99 LR series

Hi -

I have a 99 LR series II with 117K miles on it. A year ago I had the engine head & head gaskets replaced. About 4 moths ago, I got the "check engine light" on and a clacking noise coming from the (lower part) of the engine. The noise would become more frequent as the engine revs up and stay at a constant level after about 2K rpm.

I took it back to the shop, the reading was "cylinder 3 misfiring". They took good care of me, they even replaced the engine head again for free, changed oil, etc (used refurbished engine heads both times). After a couple of weeks, I got the same check engine light on again...

They never discovered where the clacking noise is coming from nor did they fix it.

I am about to spend some $$$ on tires, brake pads, etc. and I wonder if I should be looking for another vehicle instead.

Your thoughts will be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
Hi Welcome to Just Answer! With what you have described I would be looking for another vehicle. The noise and check engine light are most likely caused by a mechanical issue with the engine and you may be looking at an engine replacement in order to fix the noise.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your answer. Any thoughts on how soon I need to have another vehicle ? Also, what type of mechanical issue are we looking at ?

Without actually hearing the noise in person it is hard to give a definite answer. The noise could be coming from a few different parts. I would pay attention to the noise and if it starts getting louder you will need to do something quicker to replace it. I would look for a replacement as soon as you can though because you don't want to take a chance on what ever is causing the noise totally failing.