Technician Chris
Technician Chris, Technician
Experience:  I am a certified ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Specialist and over 15 years experience.
29613880

Chrysler Town & Country:

I have a vibration when I accelerate an only when I accelerate. I have the pumpkin inspected, change drive axels 3 times both sides, new motor mounts, relined the engine, drained the trans fluid. check the engine mounts again, but have not found the pesky problem it is a slight vibration like a broken motor mount

Category: Car
Expert:  Walt-mod replied 9 months ago.

I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Expert:  Technician Chris replied 9 months ago.

I have read over your last few posts, and my fellow expert's responses so I am very familiar with your situation. I am also an ex-Dodge technician and am very familiar with your vehicle. From reading the symptoms of the issue, I would recommend taking your vehicle to a dealer and having the TCM (transmission control module) reflashed or updated to the latest software. I believe the vibration issue is going to be internal to the transmission, specifically the torque converter. I recommend doing the software update 1st because of TSB 18-24-95 that describes your vibration while accelerating, but then goes away when you take your foot off of the pedal. If you proceed with the TCM reflash, and the problem is still there, then I am sorry to say you are going to need to replace the torque converter. This vehicle has a common problem with the torque converter's front pump seal leaking and causing such a vibration because it cannot hold pressure due to the internal leak. I say internal leak, because that is exactly what it is. You will not see any fluid leaks on the outside of the transmission. A replacement transmission will be the better choice vs. having it rebuilt or just replacing the torque coverer. With the vehicle being a 1994, you may wish to replace the vehicle entirely. I know and understand that this is not want you want to hear being the vehicle has such sentimental value with all the children it has driven around over the years. (That is very cool, by the way.) Being a car guy myself, I fully understand how attached someone can get to a vehicle, especially one with a history such as yours. Do the reflash 1st, and let me know the outcome. I wish you the very best.

- Chris

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for this information, we have tried to have this re booted but the numbers that you have given me I cannot locate in order to have my transmission re booted. Again lets remember that I had this transmission rebuilt not more than 10,000. miles ago, and this problem did not start to evolve until I replace the trans axle. I must admit that the engine mount where not in the best of shape but I have replaced all of them, but something did brake from my van for I herd it brake and fall to the ground, what part was it ? we can not find or locate where the broken fell from.

Typically a trans rebuild will only carry a 12 month / 12K mile warranty, so it is out by time (not miles) but I would absolutely recommend to return to the installer and see if he is willing to do anything as far as the warranty goes. It's very hard for me to comment on the possible broken / missing part with out more information. You said that you have replaced all the mounts so we can eliminate that as a possible cause.
Technician Chris, Technician
Experience: I am a certified ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Specialist and over 15 years experience.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Walt Mod, thank you Ben Goodwin.

I hope I have been helpful to you with this concern. If you would be so kind as to give my answer a rating, I would appreciate that very much. You may continue to post follow ups even after rating my answer, so please go ahead and do so. I would very much like to hear what the installed says about the issue, so please let me know.

thanks

Chris

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I have just given you a good rating but with all the help from the work place of just answered I have given all of you a great rating. now the vibration is slight one , how long do you think the transmission will last ? for I do not drive it on a daily drive, an if I do drive it , the miles will be in the 30 a day. yes I know it time to replace the van, but I have just painted it, not once but twice, for the painter used the wrong color installed a timing chain, oil pump, had the driver seat recovered, and she looks good for an old van. Ben

Thank you very much for the positive rating, it is appreciated. As for the longevity of the van, if the vibration is the only issue with it, I would say drive it till she dies! As long you as you constantly check the engine oil and trans fluid levels, and keep them topped off, the vehicle should last you a good while longer. As with any vehicle of age, you will get some minor nuisances. The interior will develop issues, especially with hauling kids around, there really is no way around this. Just stay on top of the major stuff, and she will keep on trucking. The transmission is definitely the weak point of this vehicle. If the vibration increases in time, and you notice leaks on the ground, be sure to take it into a trans shop such as Aamco, but if the problem does not increase in severity, I would stay don't worry about it. It may never cause an actual issue, but be sure to keep an eye on it. I've seen these vehicles with as high as 300K miles on them. They had issues, of course, but nothing major as long as you stay on top of the maintenance. I with you nothing but the best.

- Chris

Technician Chris, Technician