Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years

Saab 9-3: I have a 2006 saab convertible with a 2.0 turbo.

I have a 2006 saab convertible with a 2.0 turbo. It started out with a steering column locked message, ( After a dead battery and fresh replaced battery) I went on the forum and was prompted to replace the ignition switch. Which I did, after that It gave me a key not recognized message. I then disconnected the battery, and got back to the steering column locked message. I then had a local mechanic visit my garage, and clear the error codes. Which just got me back to the key not recognized. Does anyone have solution other than towing it to my local Saab dealer?
im sorry for the long wait did you still need help ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, still need help.

John was the new ignition switch programed with a scan tool ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It was not, and the mechanic that cleared the codes put the old one back in. So now it simply says key not known, see dealer.

yes John this car will have to do to the dealer to have the ignition key and or ignition lock reprogramed to this car

as the computer is not recognizing the ignition key or ignition lock

having both reprogramed with a scan tool should correct this problem you are having

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well that sucks, what about the original problem of "Steering column locked" was that phantom? or is there probably an existing problem?

its hard to say right now

since you have a new ignition switch have the shop put it in and program it as that could come into play with the steering lock issue