Technician Chris
Technician Chris, Technician
Experience:  I am a certified ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Specialist and over 15 years experience.

Hyundai Santa Fe Limited: my Dads 2007 Hyundai santé fe drivers

my Dads 2007 Hyundai santé fe drivers seat would not work properly. when you pressed the button to adjust only one side of the seat would move forward, I took it to car repair, they said I needed to replace entire seat! Is that true, isn't there a motor or module that can be replaced?
Category: Car
Expert:  Technician Chris replied 8 months ago.

Replacing the entire seat assembly is the easy way out (and way too expensive.) This is NOT needed. You are going to have 1 of 3 possible issues at fault.

1. The most likely is 1 of the seat motors itself is bad. There are 5 different motors in the seat.

2. One of the switches that control the seat motors are worn out or damaged.

3. A wire or wire connector in the motor circuit is damaged (open.)

You are going to need to remove the seat from the vehicle, remove the seat cover, and do some testing. Do you have a DMM? Are you comfortable w/ testing electrical circuits? If so, see the procedure below:

- If you are not comfortable with the electrical testing, another option is to visit your local junk yard, an see if you can buy a used seat out of a wrecked vehicle. This is sometimes hard to find, but will be less expensive than buying a new one from the dealer for more than $1K. Please let me know if I can assist further.

POWER SEAT MOTOR

INSPECTION

SLIDE MOTOR LIMIT SWITCH

1. Disconnect the limit switch (A) and operate the limit switch.
  2. Check for continuity between the terminals.
  3. Make sure that the seat operation is normal in the reverse after the maximum operation.

graphic

1. If there is an abnormality, replace the limit switch

RECLINING MOTOR LIMIT SWITCH

1. Disconnect the limit switch and operate the limit switch.

graphic

• If there is an abnormality, replace the limit switch.
  • POWER SEAT MOTOR

graphic

graphic

1. Disconnect the connectors for each motor.
    2. With the battery connected directly to the motor terminals, check if the motors run smoothly.
    3. Reverse the connections and check that the motor turns in reverse.

graphic

4. If there is an abnormality, replace the motors.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

The problem is definitely the seat part that will not move forward or back EVENLY. When you press the button you hear the motor running but only one side of the seat advances at an angle.

I assumed there was a slide motor limit switch on the left and right sides of the underseat area,(independent of each other) according to the designs it looks like there is only ONE motor slide switch per seat. Am I missing something?

When my Dad was on his trip the mechanic also temporarily jammed the seat in position with a rod so it wouldn't move till he came home and got it fixed, hopefully he didn't damage anything.

Where is the best place to locate motor slide switches to purchase for repairs?

The dealer is going to be your best option. Or www.parts.com. That website is a dealer supplied distributor, so you only get OE parts, but at less than the local dealer will sell them. There is only 1 motor that make the seat slide forward and backward. If the seat IS moving, but not evenly, you may have debris on one of the tracks casing a blockage or the grease that is on the seat track is bad and needs to be cleaned and lubricated. I would recommend that you remove the seat, and disconnect the actual seat from the track assembly, this will give you a clear picture of what is going on. Here is a picture of the underside of the driver's seat:

graphic

part number of the slide motor:

885090W000

MSRP: $243.53

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for the Pic, I guess your not the same expert as before? From your pic I see slide motors S14 and S17 (2 motors,) do you I need to replace both?

What kind of grease should I use and where can I get it?

Can you also send instructions on how to remove the driver side seat properly?

Yes, I am the same expert. S17 is the slide motor. S14 is the limit switch that tells the motor when to stop. The other 2 motors raise and low the front and rear of the seat. To remove the seat assembly is just 4 bolts that hold the seat to the floor, remove these 4 bolts, and disconnect the electrical connector and that's it, the seat comes out. It is rather heavy, so be careful when pulling it out of the car. As for the grease, it is nothing specific. Any wheel bearing or just genXXXXX XXXXX lithium grease will do fine, and you don't need much of it at all. You can pick up a tube at any auto parts store. You will need to follow the procedure above in testing each component. Do you have a digital multi meter? If not, you can just due a continuity test w/ a test light. You can buy a test light at any parts store for around $10. let me know if you have follow up questions. Please do go ahead and give my service a rating. This is very important as it tells other customers that I give good service. You may continue to post follow ups without having to pay twice, so please go ahead and rate my answer.

Thanks

ASE Master

Technician Chris, Technician
    Experience: I am a certified ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Specialist and over 15 years experience.
    Thank you for the positive rating. It is very much appreciated. Please let me know if I can assist further.