Jack
Jack, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  I have been an automotive technician for over 15 years and have worked on most makes and models.
72783663

Ram 1500: Got an issue with my heat/defrost system. during

Got an issue with my heat/defrost system. during idle it keeps cutting on and off causing the truck to run rough and also takes power away from motor when accelerating. i can hear a type of rattle sound along with the engine when i give it gas. when the heat or defrost is off, it runs fine but still has the rattle sound when given gas. what could be the issue and about how much would it cost to fix the problem?

Bart, I am sorry to here you are having problems with your ram, My name is Jack (MR.PUTTPUTT) I do believe that the issue you are having is with the a/c pump on your truck what I need you to do is open the hood and look at the a/c pump and see if the rough running is when the pump is kicking in and out, are you familiar with the a/c pump?, on your truck the a/c pump runs when the defrost is on in the truck. please let me know what you see with the pump.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Jack, thanks for responding. Yes the rough idle has to do with the pump clicking on and off. When it runs rough, the pump stops rotating and when it kicks back on, it rotates again and the rough idle is gone.

is the pump making the rattle noise?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes.

ok then the problem is more than likely that the pump is going out or the clutch on the pump is going. are you going to try and repair this yourself and if so do you have experience with ac
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I thought about it I know it'll be cheaper if I did it but I'm not that experienced with the AC

then I would have to say I would have a certified tech to repair this as ac can be dangerous, what you can do to is unplug the pump and this will keep it from cycling and changing the idle.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks so much I really appreciate it

Bart,
I hope that I earned a excellent rating and accept. please if you have more questions please ask.
Jack