Chris
Chris, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I am a Master Certified ASE technician. ASE Certs A1-A9 & L1. I have been a general auto repair tech for over 18 years.
75498108

Chevrolet Silverado 1500: got a p0410 and p1416 codes (air

Customer Question

got a p0410 and p1416 codes (air pump injection and bank 2)... pump, relay pump and selenoide reaction pump tested OK. I got power on from 30amp (red wire) fuse and from Ign E 10amp fuse (pink wire)... it seems that im not getting ground from brown wire... I'm stuck, plese help!
Category: Car
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

im sorry for the long wait did you still need help ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes i need help

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

do you have a multi meter on hand ?

once the codes are cleared how soon before they reset ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't have one but I could get one if you tell me why I need it for.
I haven't cleared the codes yet. Want to fix the problem first.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.
ok we need to remove the air pump relay and with the ignition key ON do 2 terminals show 12 volts that the relay connects into in the box?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tested those two terminals already (with a light tester) and they're hot. Do we have to test for 12V specifically?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if you do not have a multi meter we can trust that its 12 volts for now

if you jump # XXXXX to # XXXXX in the box with the relay out will the pump run ?

and will the air pump small solenoid turn on ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, they both work when I jumper them
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok at this point the truck will need to be plugged into a scan tool to further diagnose

lets see if any other expert have any quick tests you can do

hang on another expert will replay back to you

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello, There is one other thing that you can check. The P0410 is for the air injection system but the P1416 is for bank 2 (passenger side of engine). This tells me that the drivers side is OK. Take the air tube off at the manifold and jumper the air pump again. Does air flow out that tube?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As matter of fact I replaced the one way valve on the passanger side (bank 2) already, it was alowing air back flow. While the hose was disconnected I went and jumpered air pump, worked but didnt blow air coz selenoide was not being open.
I then jumpered air pump selenoide, worked.
Then I jumpered air pump relay, both selenoide and air pump worked with blowing air through hose.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

OK Have you cleared the codes after changing the one way valve?

At this point to do any further testing it will take a scanner capable of activating the air pump while watching the oxygen sensor. The sensor should got to below .300 when the air pump is running. It is a blind guess but you could try an new O2 sensor as that one could be getting "lazy". That is your call.

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up with you and see if
you have your problem fixed? If so you can just hit the accept button. If you
are still working on it and need more time if you could just let me know. Also
it would be grateful if you could rate my answer. I only receive credit for
positive rating so I you feel that you cannot give me a positive rating please
contact me first so that I can try to provide you with more information to help
you.

Thanks and have a great day,

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just found out that the system works only for the first 1 minute from the cold start point. everything works just fine but after that it seems like it only gets a tiny amount of voltage because the test light barely lights up a bit. is that normal?

Anyways, I just cleared the codes and Imma drive the truck for about 100, will see what happens. If CEL doesn't come back I'm taking it straight to do the smog test and let you know as well.

Appreciate your help!

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

No problem. It runs till the system goes into "closed loop" then it will run under certain conditions so I would say that is normal.

Yea give it a good run and see what happens.

Chris, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: I am a Master Certified ASE technician. ASE Certs A1-A9 & L1. I have been a general auto repair tech for over 18 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well, I've driven 150 miles and light hasn't came back. Guess we can call it a fixed now.

Thanks for the help, much appreciate it!

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
No problem