Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years

Ford Explorer: Ford explorer 2006: Got P0713 code, I believe

Ford explorer 2006: Got P0713 code, I believe this code has to do with the temperature sensor inside the transmission. The transmission is having intermittent hard shift problems, but it does shift to all the speeds. I was told that by replacing the "solenoid pack" this code would go away. Is the temperature sensor that caused the P0713 code part of the "solenoid pack" on the transmission.

- Orlando
good morning my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today.

the trans temp sensor is a common failure but is not part of the solenoid pack. it is in the valve body with the solenoids. they are common for failing but can be reading correct if the trans cooler is clogged and the fluid temp is actually getting to hot.

I would start by changing the fluid and filter and see if the code continues. if it does, then change the sensor and see if that is the issue.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your response. Do you think the failure of the transmission fluid temperature sensor could cause symptoms like hard shifting both while going up and down the gears and when setting the control to either D or R from Park? I though those symptoms where more indicative of the Solenoid Pack. I believe the temperature sensor is a lot more inexpensive than the solenoid pack so it would make sense to change it first, unfortunately that means we have to discard the fluid. By the way I have already changed the transmission fluid and it has not made a significant change.

no, the sensor will not effect the shifting. the solenoids will but in most case, there will be codes directing toward the sensors.

I would try the sensor first