Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

GMC Sierra 3500 pickup: I have a 1990 GMC sierra 3500 7.4 TBI.

I have a 1990 GMC sierra 3500 7.4 TBI. It willrun for about 50 miles then after it is turned off for a while it won't start for about 8 hours. it gets fuel through the fuel line to the throttle body but not through the injectors. I have replaced the throttle position sensor and the idle air control valve, rebuilt the TBI and checked the fuses. What is next?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

Tim's Auto Repair :

hi

Tim's Auto Repair :

you have one of two posible problems

Tim's Auto Repair :

1- the ignition module

Tim's Auto Repair :

2-the pick-up coil

Tim's Auto Repair :

either of these can do this and sense the problem is intermediate,it would be hard to test them

Tim's Auto Repair :

i would replace the ignition module first

Tim's Auto Repair :

if it is the pick-up coil,,you may concider replacing the complete distributer with a new rebuilt unit,,sense it will need to come out and apart to replace the pick-up

Tim's Auto Repair :

the reason it isnt sqirting fuel after it gets hot though the injectors,,is because the computer doesnt know the engine is turning because of the bad component

Tim's Auto Repair :

Full Size Image

Tim's Auto Repair :

If you are satisfied with my answer,Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work..I'm not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, ,please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer:

Thanks Tim, I will give this a try as soon as I can. I'm a weekend shade tree mechanic (or maniac I'm not sure which) I'll give this a shot and let you know.

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.