sean, Technician
Experience:  Certified Ford Master Technician. Technician since 1984.

Saab 9-3 Linear: Im having a warm start problem with my son'

I'm having a warm start problem with my son's 2003 9-3. Starts fine when cold, however when warm the car cranks but won't start. Strong smell of gas. After its set for a couple hours it will start again. Problem is intermittent but becoming more frequent

Hello. I hope the following is of assistance.

From the description you've given this will be a concern with the coolant temperature sensor. If the sensor becomes open circuit then the engine management uses a default value, usually around -40 degrees C, obviously when the engine is cold this isn't too much of a concern, when the engine becomes warm and is turned off when you try to start the car the engine management is still fueling for a cold engine so injects excessive fuel which in effect "floods" the engine which is when you get a non start.

Once the engine cools and you try to start it again as the engine management is fueling for a cold engine (albeit very cold) the engine will start again.

I hope this helps but if I can assist further let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So then just a replacement of the coolant temperature sensor? Any information on the part number I'd be looking for?

Hello again,

you can check the resistance through the sensor, if it's open circuit or has a high resistance then it will need replacing, the hotter the engine coolant the lower the resistance through the sensor becomes.

An idea of the sensor is at

but to be certain of the correct part you need to give the supplier the VIN of the car.

Let me know if I can assist further.

Best regards,