Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  17 years Shop Owner /Technician. 27 years experience,

Ford Transit VG minibus: ford engine code 1178

ford engine code 1178
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 8 months ago.
Hi .

P1178 ENGINE TO PUMP SYNCHRONISATION .

This fault indicates that the bolt up angle has exceeded a high or low threshold.

The bolt up angle is the difference between the positions of the pump and engine position sensors.

This fault is usually rectified by retiming the pump to the engine.

This normally happens when the pump was removed or any repaires where carried out .

The possible faults could be:

1)The pump has been incorrectly fitted to the engine.Retime the pump.

2)The pump timing wheel is loose or broken away.The pump must be repaired.

3)The drive shaft position sensor is loose. The pump must be retimed .

Need further assistance then please get back to me .

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back with the reply box below and not the poor or bad service button ,

For further assistance there is no extra charge after accepting.

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Yes I know all of the pump issues, but before I commit to a very expensive mechanic to look at the pump further, I am looking for the reason the light only comes on after traveling a min of 10klms and then only when I stop at a junction. If I don't have to stop the light stays off. My argument is, if the timing is out, then its out. Why does the car not record it until I stop?

Expert:  Greg replied 8 months ago.
Hi Paul .

Possible slack in the timing, and the sensors see this when there is no load on the engine ,

Greg
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Do you mean slack in the timing belt?

Expert:  Greg replied 8 months ago.
Hi Paul .

Possible yes , but most lately timing was any work done lately ,timing belt ??

Greg
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I had a water pump fitted and they said the timing belt was slack and they just tightened it up. Maybe the adjuster might be no good?

Expert:  Greg replied 8 months ago.
Hi Paul .

Okay there is your problem, have the timing redone correctly at a shop that has the diagnostic tools to do this for you .

If the belt has not been replaced in the last 6 years or 70.000 miles then have this done now

All the best Paul and please get back to me if needed.

Kindest regards Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience: 17 years Shop Owner /Technician. 27 years experience,