Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

my 1996 Suzuki sidekick 1.6 runs rough from 20mph to about

my 1996 Suzuki sidekick 1.6 runs rough from 20mph to about 40mph.

idles fine and run good above 50 mph... any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated..
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX X'm here to help get your problem solved. Is the check engine light on or does it ever come on? Thanks.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

it is not on now but does come .. I think code 4100

Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.
Have you had a tuneup recently? 4100 is not a valid code, any idea what the description of code said? Thanks.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

just checked code is p0400... have replaced plugs and rotor and cap

Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

This code PCM detected too large or too small an amount of change in the MAP sensor signal. Check the vapor filter near the Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor for restrictions, if nothing found unplug egr valve to see if it runs better. If it still runs rough then I'd replace the map sensor. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.

Dan, Technician
Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

replaced map sensor... no change.... how can you charge me 37.00 for that ???????????

Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.
That was only a suggestion and the best place to start. This code can also be related to the EGR valve. Disconnect the EGR and let me know if it runs better. Thanks.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I did disconnect the erg no change.....

Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Remove the EGR and put a block plate between EGR and intake manifold to prevent EGR flow. If that allows it to run better replace the EGR. P0400 is related to EGR valve so it is either not related or EGR is being pushed open easily by the exhaust. Let me know, thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

was removing the egr when one of the studs broke off... about 1/4 " left sticking out... no way to get to it to remove it short of pulling head...iam screwed . wish I would have left it alone !!

Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

I wish there was something I could do, you should be able to get that out without removing head. You could try to weld a socket to the part that is sticking out or use a easy out. Also with just the 1 stud you could still probably get a plate under there to see if it runs better with EGR completely blocked off.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I said no way to get to it, its between engine and fire wall...I just noticed your expertise does not include Suzuki...no need to reply........