Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Mazda 626 GF-12S: I have Mazda 626, with automatic gear. A

I have Mazda 626, with automatic gear. A few months ago, the gear stopped entering higher gears. I thus replaced the gear to a one from car accident. Since then, there was some knocking sound whenever I pressed the fule, but both my regular mechanics and the mechanic where I replaced the gear said that it's mothing. The transition between gears went smoothly.. It might be that the mechanic who replaced the gear, put a gear from a different version of Mazda 626. My local mechanic claimed that the mechanics who replaced the gear replaced the gear mounting in order to adapt the gear to the car. Now, a few months later, and after warranty passed, the replacement gear makes noises which are proportional to the rpm. I suspect that the replacement gear was not in perfect adaptation to the car. Are there known issues with gearboxes from different but close Mazda models and years?
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

There can be issues with something like this being done here.If the gears/gear box that was installed was not the correct one for your model vehicle this can lead to failure of the gears or noises like this,it may also cause issues with vehicle operation when driving and shifting at some point.

From what you have described here this sounds like this is the case here and I would see if they can obtain the correct gear box needed for your vehicle,one that is the correct one to correct this problem and since this may have been their fault with installing the incorrect one I would see if they will help with the costs for this as well.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Pete for the reply.

Yet, my question was more specific: are there known issues with gears from specific years, etc. As it is already clear to me that I have to replace the gear, I need to be equipped with some knowledge to be able to monitor that the next gear will not be like the one I purchased a few months ago.

As the car is old, I don't want to invest too much money on the gear, so I have no intention to do it in Mazda's official garage. Most of the mechanics and even good ones do not know to tell exactly which version is suitable to which car (unless it is exactly the same model, which is rare when getting a gear from accidents).

Do you know where I can get information about the suitability of different gears to my car model? Do you know from which years Mazda used the same gear in Mazda 626?

Appreciated in any case.

Uzi

The only place I have been able to locate this kind of info for on a vehicle when looking for what years and model parts will work is with a dealers parts department.If you can contact a dealer or stop in to one to their parts department with your vehicles VIN number they should be able to look up the info on this and tell you what part number(s) you need as well as what models it will work with.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete