Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.

I have just had a new clutch and flywheel fitted after breaking down on the motorway. Whe

I have just had a new clutch and flywheel fitted after breaking down on the motorway.
When I first broke down I tried to start the car in gear so I could move it.
When i drive it and select first gear there is a slight crunching noise, this doesn't happen when the car isn't moving even if I rev the engine
Category: Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 8 months ago.

Dr. Hamman :

Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time.

Does it only make the crunching only when it is sitting still, and only when you first place it into gear.

Customer:

It crunches when you put it into first gear, only when the car is in motion e.g. changing down, but not when the car is stationary.

Customer:

btw i am a novice

Dr. Hamman :

That is normally a problem with what is known as a synchronizer. They tend to act up if the gearbox/transmission is low on oil. Many times I have seen a transmission loose oil when a clutch is installed. The mechanic might have lost some oil, and neglected to refill it. So I would have the oil level checked in the transmission. If th oil level is low then filling it to the correct level can restore normal operation. If you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I do not get paid for my work unless you rate at 3 to 5 Smiley Faces or Stars, a bonus is always greatly appreciated. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will be happy to assist you further.

Customer:

Thank you

Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience: 30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.