Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

Im working on a 2004 Liberty Sport 3.7 with the 42RLE transmissi

I'm working on a 2004 Liberty Sport 3.7 with the 42RLE transmission. Having a problem with it downshifting when going up a long steep hill. When this happens the trans temp light comes on but then goes back off once you get on flat ground. I've tried replacing the solenoid pack and setting the TCM to relearn mode but it still does the same thing? Fluid level is fine with plus 4 and a new filter installed when I changed out the pack. No check engine light and no codes present at this time. Prior to changing the pack I did have codes P0700, P1775 and P1776. Any ideas?
Hello

P0700 = is a general fault code so no data here other than showing that there are faults present

P1775 is the solenoid switch latched in TCC position which as you've replaced the solenoid pack probably means its being switched by something else

p1776 is solenoid stuck in low position
so again as you've already replaced the solenoid pack make s me think that this is more likely to be a wiring or control module issue

So I'd check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire

if this looks OK then I'd consider replacing the gearbox speed sensors as faulty input / ouput speeds can lock up the gear selection