Master Tech Lee
Master Tech Lee, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  36 years Domestic and Import Electronics Diagnostic Tech

how do you know if the timing chain needs to be replaced if

how do you know if the timing chain needs to be replaced if the engine will not start
Submitted: 8 months ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Car
Expert:  Master Tech Lee replied 8 months ago.

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Welcome to justanswer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX online automotive technician. I am reading your comments. I will be right with you. Thank You, Leon

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Year, Make, and Model please

Customer:

20004 Nissan Quest se

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

OK looking it up now for you

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

how many miles on engine

Customer:

104385

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

thank you

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

hold please

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

what size engine please ?

Customer:

3.5

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

thank you

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

OK, around 100,000 miles the chain should be replaced.

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Are you attempting to do this your self

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Is there noise?

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Your engine is an interferance engine which means if chain breaks bending valves and possible put a hole in a piston or two mat happen

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

might happen sorry typo

Customer:

No noise, the car dashboard was blanking out then the car would cut off while driving but would restart. after a few times it did not start. The dealer said that the O2 sensor got hot and the catalytic converter was damaged this in turn shorted out the computer and the fuses or the idpm so I had all this stuff replaced and still not start just a ttrning of the starter no gas

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Is it turning over faster than usual?

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Is the engine turning over faster than usual?

Customer:

hard to say its turning but does not seem to be getting any gas

Customer:

the car has been sitting up for a year due to the extensive repair list I got from the dealer I I just recently got the work done the car is still at the dealer

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

this is terrible and the dealer did not tell you why it does not start? That is not right.

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

I would take this up with the dealer manager, Really!!

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

You paid all this money after their diagnosis that the repair would correct your starting situation

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Correct?

Customer:

Well they said it might be the timing chain but they want to put it on the computer for 62.00 now thats a 3000 dollar repair if thats what they come up with any advice on how what I should do next

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

holly Molly!!

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

OK, listen can you do this work

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

I need you to pull the timing cover

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

can you do this?

Customer:

Correct I did not let them do the work but I got my parts from them except my exhaust work, and they were just to reprogram the keys and change the battery cable.

Customer:

no I would have to get it done

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

I want to see if all points are to the correct as far as timing marks to rule out timing chain or if timing is off.

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

I would take it to someone of honest repair and ask them to check the timing chain, if the have the right equipment they can check this very quickly

Customer:

The dealer said it was off by 10 deg thats all Iknow

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

that is more than enough to cause problems

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Give this revised dealer TSB to who you take it to

Full Size Image

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Have I answered your question?

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

And do you have any more questions for me?

Customer:

Ok I'll try how many hours would it be to repair a timing chain

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

OK, hold and I will look this up in my pro data software, Hold please

Customer:

ok

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Full Size Image

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Full Size Image

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

This is with guides

Customer:

ok thanks

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Your Welcome. Come back and let me know how everything goes. Book mark page. Press Ctrl+D to save this page as Favorite/Bookmark so that you can click on it to reach me after you restart computer.

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your repairs.

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Thank you, Leon

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Master Tech Lee

Full Size Image

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Is there more questions I can answer for you?

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer. Bonuses and Feedback are Appreciated, thank you. Best wishes with your repairs.

Master Tech Lee, ASE Master Tech
Experience: 36 years Domestic and Import Electronics Diagnostic Tech