Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

PT Cruiser limited edition: The "Engine icon" came on driving

The "Engine icon" came on driving to work this morning. I have a 2001 PT Limited Edition. Regular servics carried out since I purchased the car 3 years ago.
What simple checks can I do? CAn I drive it home?

Welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

im sorry your having this problem

how does it run for you ?

other than the light coming on its running fine ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It runs fine, starts easily

Barry the engine icon when lit up can be turned on by the computer for many reasons

the most common is a loose or bad gas cap not sealing the fuel tank and when the computer runs its tests and the gas cap is an issue it will turn on the icon ( check engine light )

if this is running great its more than likely something simple like that

the best way to find out why is to swing by a Pep Boys or Auto Zone and they will read the code numbers for free for you and then you will know exactly why the computer turned the light on

or you can disconnect both battery cables for 5 minutes make sure the gas cap is tight then reconnect the battery and drive it

if the light comes back on a shop will have to diagnose the code that it is setting