Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

Mazda 3: I have a 2004 2.3L mazda 3 that has had 2 alternator

I have a 2004 2.3L mazda 3 that has had 2 alternator failures in the last 2 years and another failure yesterday after a 3 month replacement with a rebuild. The original has lasted approx. 260000Km and now going to the 3rd alternator in 50000KM. Battery is now 2 yrs old and after every replacement regulation seems fine at approx. 14V and battery holds charge after 2-3 days of no activity but the alternators are not lasting. Any advise.

Hi,My name is Tim,

I will do my best to assist you

Mark,the first thing to do,is to buy an alternator with a lifetime warrenty,here in the US, auto zone and most parts stores offer a lifetime warrenty ,,this way you wont need to pay for another if it does go bad,,,

after you have the new alternator installed,do a load test,if you dont have a load tester,again,most parts stores will do a load test for free..this is to make sure the lternator is good under load,,,you must understand,the replacement alternators you are buying are rebuilt and not new,,sometimes these will have problem.

if you arent blowing any fuses ,i wouldnt think there is anything wrong with the car itself,..just bad rebuilt alternators

If you are satisfied with my answer,Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work..I'm not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, ,please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help