Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

Transmissions 5008: My daughter dropped (aggressively pushed)

My daughter dropped (aggressively pushed) a coin or coins in-between the slot of the automatic gear box. I tested the gears by turning the car on and putting it into drive, this is when I heard, 'the noise'!

I have a Peugeot 5008 automatic and I'm in trouble without my car for work tomorrow.

Please can someone help and suggest what I should do, (except sell the little monster, the wife wouldn't be best pleased). An interesting thought all the same.

Many thanks in advanced.

Hi Nathan

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Were these coins actually pushed into the transmission/gear box itself or the shifter assembly?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Pete,

it has been pushed between the plastic cover around the shifter assembly, (if I'm understanding this correctly). You have the gear stick, then the plastic cover that runs up and down the gear box.

So when I put the car in drive or reverse I can hear the coin move around. I'm worried that the coin might fall further into somewhere more critical, (if that's possible) when the car gear stick is moved from drive to reverse etc.

O.k.,what will need to be done from here is to remove the shifter assembly most likely and remove the coins,this may take some disassembling of components around and part of the shifter to do this.I don't think it will fall into transmission as usually this is pretty well sealed up but it can jam the shifter eventually.

This would be best done by someone a shop or dealer that has a break down of the shifter assembly and components around it that need to be moved to access it for repair.I don't think you need to give up on the vehicle it just needs to be looked into further to locate and remove these coins and should be done soon to avoid any further issues.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete