Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.
9795573

Suzuki Samori: My 1994 Suzuki Samori automatic is making a

My 1994 Suzuki Samori automatic is making a wining noise while I accelerate. If I let up on the gas it stops. It only happens while under load.

Dr. Hamman :

Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time.

Has the fluid and filter been changed recently in the transmission.

I do not get paid for my work unless you rate at 3 to 5 Smiley Faces or Stars, a bonus is always greatly appreciated. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will be happy to assist you further.

Customer:

Yes the fluid has been changed 2 weeks ago.

I was having trouble with chat so I switched formats. There are conditioners and cleaners that can help if some of the valving is sticky, but don’t count on it. You probably are not even want to hear this, but here we go.......................The fluid pump in these transmissions can whine when there is a problem. The planetary hears can make noises too. The oil pump in the transmission when it acts up sounds like a power steering pump that is worn, the planetary gears sound more like a worn out rear end type of whine or howl. Your #1 problem is either the planetary gears, or the pump acting up is pretty bad news because the transmission has to come out and apart to fix this problem. When this problem starts if it doesn’t progress rapidly it can go on for years, but the end game isn’t good.

It would be a real good idea to look for a replacement transmission, or strategize on a plan to rebuild it in the not to distant future. If you have the capability of rebuilding it, or if you would have it rebuilt, it would be a good idea to not drive it until it quits it can cause foundational damage.
.

Go over all of this and if you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK Sounds good well no really. Could it have anything to do with the transfer case? The noise just started 2 days ago. It is a wine does sound like a rear end problem but it is only there while accelerating. It is loudest at 50 MPH and decreases if I go faster.

That is a good thought, I would check the fluid levels in the entire drive train. Check the drive axles too. Sometimes sounds travel and resonate from a different area through connected parts. I think I would get a mechanics stethoscope, they normally cost $3 to $10, and jack it up, and run it with the wheels off of the ground. Then with the engine running place it in gear and go over the drive axles and transfer case also the transmission. You should be able to hear the sound if the problem is the transfer case, or a drive axle. The stethoscope magnifies sound by hundreds of times. I cant overstress how well these stethoscopes work. If the transfer case or drive axles are the problem, it will be very evident when you listen to them with a stethoscope. You can apply the brakes slightly to simulate a load, but you cant do it very long, the brakes will get hot fast. Normally a stethoscope will spot a sound like this with no load, even if it has to have a load to hear it with your naked ear. I will post a link HERE where you can get one, you can likely find one locally too. If you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.