sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 14 years dealership experience
9825021

Chevrolet Trailblazer LS: I have a 2005 trailblazer LS with

I have a 2005 trailblazer LS with 6cylinder engine . Third row seating also . Are car horn honks and door locks lock and unlock seven hours after the car gas been undisturbed . Nobody has any answers . Any thoughts ?
Category: Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you have a functional key fob that you use to lock and unlock the doors? If you do still have a key fob then the fob itself could be your issue, assuming this happens when you're in range of the vehicle when this happens. It's not uncommon for a key fob to send a signal on it's own, and it's always possible that a button is being inadvertently pressed if the fob is in a pocket. Try removing the battery from the fob(s) and see if this still happens and if not then you know it was a fob issue.

If that doesn't help then the problem could be the liftgate control module or possibly the body control module. The keyless entry signal is picked up and interpreted by the liftgate module which then sends messages out over the communication bus network to other modules. If the liftgate module is reporting key fob signals when there aren't then this will happen, or the BCM could be the issue.

It's also possible for radio frequency interference to cause problems like this. If the problem only happens when the vehicle is parked in a certain place then it could be happening because of something transmitting from another device.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The lift gate had a worn bushing and broken strut for about 4 months . During this period the previously mentioned problem began . Could have the lift gate not closing properly caused this problem ? Today I disconnected the plug on the lift gate reconnected the battery . The alarm went off six hours later . Does this sound like it could still be one those modules ? How do you get to the lift gate module.

The issue you had with the liftgate really shouldn't be related to what you are having now.

It could still definitely be the liftgate module. The module is mounted directly to the liftgate, it's on the left side and accessed by removing the trim panel.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Once I replace the lift gate module will I need to reset/program the computer ,if so how ?
If the module was replaced with a new one then yes, it would need to be programmed. It requires a dealer's Tech 2 scan tool which is connected to both the vehicle and GM's database to download and program the proper software.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
So there would be no be little to no benefit to me doing it my self .
Do I have to take it to a dealer or do other mechanics have the ability to program these parts ? You specified new . Would a salvaged part not need to be programmed ?

If you replaced it yourself then you'd save a little bit of money on labor, probably about a half hour worth.

Most independent shops wouldn't have the ability to download the software for a new module.

A used module would obviously already have the software in them but the key fobs would still need to be programmed.

sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 14 years dealership experience