Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair
13677702

Suzuki XL7: We have a 2008 XL7 with 102,000 miles. That just

Customer Question

We have a 2008 XL7 with 102,000 miles. That just started bucking and jerking. No check engine light, starts and idles fine. does have a miss code on 2,4,6 cylinder's. Is this a fuel pump or coil problem? Also has new plugs. Problem usually arises after 10 plus min. of driving.
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Randall. I have reviewed your question and working on it now.
When this happens, does it feel like one cylinder begins missing and you can ease off gas pedal and power seems to regain?
If you had miss on 2,4,6 at same time, engine would hardly run if run at all
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If you let off on the gas or cost it tends to buck and jerks more. If you step on the gas it seems to reduce and/ or go away. This can happen at all speeds. Again the computer showed 2,4,6 had a miss on that bank. After the problem re-occurred the next computer test showed no codes. The check engine blinked on and off at 1 time when we were coming to a stop. Went off after we re-accelerated and has not come back on. Again plugs were changed at the same time we did a front wheel bearing.

Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
My thought is going to be a bad coil, This is/was rather common. Hard to diagnose whicg coil when other cylinder miss codes were set. the blink of the light means the PCM detected a miss but was not long enough to set a code. I am not leaning to fule problem so,, you can try? misting each coil with water from spray bottle and hit each coil and iff the engine runs rough, that coil is the problem coil. Have to inspect the runner boots at each coil real close for any? signs of hot spots.
I am here to help and will continue to do so so.. I am giving some intiial up front information as to what i feel the problem may be. Let me know. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If code came up 3 cylinder misses is that telling me that all 3 coil packs are bad? or can 1 bad coil effect the whole bank. Do you have any idea the price for a coil? or what the job would cost?

Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
did you do the plugs? if so,, you know coils are asy to change
yes,, the 3 coils do in fact link together in a way and yes,, a miss or affected coil on one could? set 3 codes on 3 coils. It is possibel but 3 missing coils? engine would not run
or run so bad you would not be able to move it
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We changed the coils as you suggested and the XL7 continued to do the same thing. We broke down and took it to a dealer and they told us that it was down 2 quarts of oil.
So they did a cleaner on it and changed oil. They report that they drove 29 miles and it has missed at all.
Picking it up tomorrow, I guess we will see if the problem is fixed.

Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
humk, 2 qtes of oil low? this obviously would ne be any way near my first thought, Hope you understand. Please LMK the outcome etc. Thanks