Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager
2947720

Isuzu Pick up: Mark here, 2.3 isuzu have had head shaved, had

Customer Question

Mark here, 2.3 isuzu have had head shaved, had to remove rocker arm assy. Have reassembled head ,intake plenum , exhaust manifold. Question? When I checked valve lash the timing mark is on bottom of cam gear in order for it to check out with what manual says for tdc. If I rotate it to the top to line up timing marks the valve adjustment is backwards.(the head is off engine and on bench) could I have put the cam in wrong. I turned it where the gear was at tdc
Category: Car
Expert:  Jerry replied 10 months ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you today.
.

You are at BDC when the mark is lined up. That is just 180 out. When you do the timing belt, and line the marks up, the #1 cylinder is not ready to fire but on the exhaust stroke.
.

The valve adjustment instructions are for when the timing belt is on and if it is 180 out turn the CRANK one more time to do the valve adjustment.
.

1. Bring No. 1 cylinder to top dead center (TDC) on compression stroke by turning crankshaft until crankshaft pulley is aligned with timing mark '0'.
  2. Check rocker arm shaft bracket nuts for looseness. Using sequence shown in Fig. 19, torque rocker arm shaft brackets 1 through 8 to 16 ft. lbs., then brackets 9 and 10 to 6 ft. lbs.
  3. Check for play in No. 1 intake and exhaust valve pushrods. If No. 1 cylinder pushrods are depressed, rotate crankshaft 360°to position No. 1 cylinder on compression stroke.
  4. Adjust the following valves:
    1. No. 1 intake and exhaust.
    2. No. 2 intake.
    3. No. 3 exhaust.
  1. Rotate crankshaft 360°and adjust the following valves:
    1. No. 2 exhaust.
    2. No. 3 intake.
    3. No. 4 intake and exhaust.
  1. Install valve cover. Tighten to specifications.

Valve Clearance Specifications:

Intake 0.006 inches
Exhaust 0.010 inches
.

If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

.

Thanks

Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience: ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Ok. So head is installed now. When I put the timing belt on do I put cam shaft and crank shaft tdc and lined up with timing marks on both cam and crank
Expert:  Jerry replied 10 months ago.
Yes, you can tell the compression stroke, that is right after the intake valve closes, (with the engine turned in the normal direction)

"

.

.

Thanks

Expert:  Jerry replied 10 months ago.
Hello Mark, Jerry here. I was just wondering how your vehicle was and wanted to see if you may need anything further on it.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Jerry, thx, I get to work on the truck when I get a day off. I have motor together but not vacuum lines hoses elec conn. Maybe we'd next week
Expert:  Jerry replied 10 months ago.
Ok, just checking, let me know if you need anything, thanks