Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

Mercedes-Benz ML 270 CDI: MY Mercedes-Benz ML 270 CDI has vibration

MY Mercedes-Benz ML 270 CDI has vibration / reverberation taking off, up my very long steep drive particularly first off in the day.
Have replaced front CV's, drive belt, glow plugs, and checked for anything loose or mountings broken. Les
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

I have seen in some cases where an exhaust heat shield can bend or become loose and contact an engine or transmission component or even the exhaust and can cause this type of fault.

If this has not been inspected to see if any shields are loose,bent or damaged this should be done.

If this has already been done let me know and we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Pete. My reverb is solid, my passenger feels it through her seat (me too)

Have discussed possibility of a 'created' metal ball from catalyst converter fragments banging around.

I wonder if it is just a fact of life for these engines, but don't know how to ask that question.

The car is 9 years XXXXX, XXXXXe 100,000 k.metres, and has been treated easy. I am 74 yrs of age.

It is possible the catalytic converter has started to break loose internally and causing this here but usually if this is the case you can tap on the outside of it and if it rattles this is a good indication it is faulty needing replaced.

It may be a balance issue in the engine itself as I have seen in some cases.If the fault isn't found to be external it may be worth having the engine listened to revved up with an automotive stethoscope to see if this is the case.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete